Wheel upgrade - HED Ardennes Plus FR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nunuboogie

by nunuboogie

Looking to buy a new set of wheels and think I have finally made a decision to buy the HED Ardennes plus FR. Even though a set of carbon wheels as very tempting I worry about braking issues and using carbon as an everyday wheel.
What's the forums consensus on the Ardennes should I consider an alternative?
I'm a small light female rider using the wheels for general riding going as fast as possible on the flat, on the climbs and on the downs :lol:
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

FR PLus doesn't exist… Did you mean Ardennes FR ?

If you really afraid of braking performance, than alu is better choice, just for sake of "mind peace" :) .

Next thing is 25mm profile ( PLUS rims ) - will your frame accept 23/25mm tires on THIS rim width. Are you sure ? Sram brakes ( specially Red ) are quiet low in comprison to Campagnolo & Shimano- and this can cause troubles.

I like wider rims, but "bit wider", not "crazy wide" … 18mm (inner) is already HUGE difference in comparison to 13-14-15mm "standard" rims . 25mm out / 20in is MASSIVE.

If you are not planning using 28mm+ tires , whats the point ? Next thing is minimal tire width requirement - 23mm ( according to Hed ) is very very optimistic. I would say 25 is absolute minimum. For light climber ??? Can't see sense in it.

Next thing is the price : for given price range you can really buy 2 sets of VERY NICE wheelsets : Like Fulcrum Racing Zero plus Campagnolo Neutron as "spare" … Or many many sets of really fancy tires and latex tubes… . Ardennes are not worth 1400$. Half of this - yes.

building on Hed C2 rims, DT 240/ DuraAce hubs and Sapim cxRays will cost around 700-800 , depends from discounts. But 800 is absolute max. Wheelset should weight around 1500g for 28/24 and 1450g for 20/24 . REAL weight, not "claimed by manufacturer"

BTW I'm 90kg guy using CF rims for everyday, on not perfect surfaces ( to be gentle ) - no issues at all . Not with 28/24 -38mm, neither 20/24 46mm. Since I use Campagnolo "red" CF dedicated pads have no fear with brakes. But where I live are hills, not mountains.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

nunuboogie

by nunuboogie

Thanks stormur
What CF rims do you ride? Have you had no issues with braking?
Cheers