Storck Fenomalist Di2 project

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jano

by jano

Finally my first carbon bike build-up project has started.

After lots of searching and even more waiting and complications I have finally received my 2012 Storck Fenomalist Di2 frame kit from a German shop.

Don't ask how the shop came up with the idea to stick their name on what is otherwise a wonderful frame, this is something I will have to ask them next, along with finding a solution to remove it.

It is a size 51 and comes with the Storck Stiletto Race SL fork, a bit of a porker, more to this in a moment.

Frame weight, 936 gram, with the FD hanger and the plastic tube running through the right chain stay:

Without the plastic tube would be closer to 930 gram, which is OK. Won't be a very light build, unless I decide to make a big hole in my account. 8)

Fork weight, 422 gram:

Quite heavy by recent standards, my Easton EC90 SL (on my Ghisallo) is about 100 gram lighter!
Hopefully I can get it to under 400 gram when I shorten the shaft from 300 to 190 mm.
I'll have to get another Storck fork if I ever decide to go lighter with this bike.

The seat tube clamp provided by Storck (made by Token), weighs in at a surprising 10 gram:

Integrated headset was also provided with the frame, didn't yet get around to weighing it, I'll post the info later.

The other components I already have for this build are:

Easton EC90 SLX3 bars at 207 gram:

Selle Italia SLR carbon saddle at 135 gram (I'll have to take a pic of this one).

Set of older Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, I'll have to weigh them again, lost the old measurements I had done a while ago.

Next I'll have to calculate the Di2 cable lengths and order the Ultegra Di2 kit.

I'll need some help choosing the remaining components that I'll need to complete the build:

Brakes
Would like a new dual pivot set, like the Ultegra 6800 or the Dura Ace 9000, unfortunately none of them is black.
For now EE brakes won't fit into my budget, if you know about good brakes that are lightish and won't cost a fortune, and are black, please let me know.

Seatpost
Initially had decided for a Fizik Cyrano R1, though I am also considering the LYTI one from DuLight.fr:
http://www.dulight.fr/product_info.php? ... ts_id=2197
Anyone had any first hand experience with LYTI products?

Crankset
This is quite complicated.
If I wanted a light and not so expensive one I'd go with SRAM Red 22.
The only issue is that meanwhile I am looking to get a Stages powermeter and they do not offer any with carbon cranks. Taking this into account my next choice is the Cannondale SISL, the only question is if I can fit a set of SiSL cranks with BB30 spindle on my BSA BB frame. I guess a Rotor BSA to BB30 adapter will help, though I am not sure how it looks with regards to spindle Q Factor and chainline.
If anyone has experience with installing a Cannondale SiSL crankset on a frame with BSA bottom bracket, please share it with me.

Stem
Considering the MSC Ultralite, claimed to be around 100 gram, though I couldn't find much about it while searching for info. Anyone had some experience with it?

Pedals
Most probably Speedplay Zero's.

It will be a longer project as I need to source lots of parts without braking the bank, please bear with me while it all come together.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Going to a great build by the sounds of it. Always had a soft spot for the Fenomalist in the black with silver highlights. You won't be able to fit SISL to the frame due to the short spindle, the Rotor BSA adapter only allows BBRight or longer 30mm spindles cranks such as Rotor to fit. I would take a look at the new Praxis Turn cranks or some blacked out Rotor 3D+ with black rings. Run a Power2Max with Rotor if you want power.

See if you can find a set of Revel by The Hive, carbon callipers with blue highlights. They are ok brakes, not as powerful as Shimano but not useless either.

jano

by jano

Thanks for the info Fixie82!
I really hopped that I could make the SiSL Hollowgrams work.
The Stages powermeter choice is based on its Bluetooth Smart compatibility. PowerToMax looks like a good option if I switch to a Garmin unit for it.
The Revl by The Hive looks good, however seems to be difficult to find, looks like there was a recall for these due to broken parts.

jano

by jano

Ultegra Di2 kit arrived today and already the first, albeit small, issues surfaced.
The Di2 grommets for the 6870 cables are too small compared to the holes in the frame, which is normal cause this frame was designed with the 7970 DA Di2 in mind.
Does anyone know the fit size of the 7970 Di2 grommets (manufacturer p/n Y-7E098050)?
Thanks in advance.

2old4this

by 2old4this

I have the same frame. I bought Shimano's bigger grommets. I think they are GM02. I'll try to find its package and see if it is the right one.

jano

by jano

Many thanks 2old4this, got the grommets for the Dura Ace Di2 7970 and these fit better.
Got all the components now, should be built up and ready to ride by tomorrow.
I'll update with components weights and pictures soon.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com