Switching to Campy, what chain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

Never been a fan of KMC chains - just wear out quicker than SRAM and Campy and tend to be noisier.

Have used SRAM w/quick link on Campy 10 w/out complaints for years. The Campy chains are just a pain to switch out but they do, at least in my experience wear better then anything else I've used.

Just got new bike with SR 11. Think I'll stick with Campy chain for first couple of years and then take it from there.
It only hurts if you think.

stormur

by stormur

Sram chains are more quiet than anything else, specially Shimano ( 11 spd ) - due to "22" idea are more flexy, so it affects shifting ( in plus ) . Longevity of Sram is not even close to Record chain, unfortunately… But for "culture" of work - Sram. For Campy drivetrain- Campagnolo. Sram on Campy casette don't shift so good as Campagnolo chain on Campagnolo casette. Small difference , but noticeable.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Strange ... I found running DA9000 with DA chain (new) and SR cassette (new) to be less than perfect. It wasn't bad, and wasn't skipping or missing shifts but the shift between the Ti and non Ti sprockets was not perfect. Noticeably inferior to full SR. Wld have been interesting to try with SR chain I guess.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rideintospace

by rideintospace

I am using a SRAM red 22 chain on 2 of my bikes with Campy SR 2014 without issue. On my cross bike (not yet on WW) I am using the exact setup you mentioned: Campy SR shifters with the SRAM XG1190 cassette and SRAM red 22 chain. On my road bike (Cervelo R5) I am using Campy SR shifters, cassette, and SRAM red 22 chain. I use Praxis chainrings on both bikes, and shifting is working silently on both builds. I would recommend the red 22 chain for its ease of installation and dependability.

carlcurry

by carlcurry

boysa wrote:Campagnolo chain is the jewel of the group. With a missing link installed, of course.

I'm on this combination. Was Campy for years. Really liked the missing link. Went KMC and have bent a link on two chains. First time I figured a fluke. Two times was enough for me. I do shift anytime I need in or out of the saddle. Riding at 158lbs.
I'm back to Campy Record with the KMC missing link. Best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned
Bianchi Infinito CV, Cervelo R3, Giant TCR, Trek Domane SLR, Specialized Allez

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

So what's the latest feedback for chain choice for Campy groupsets with a Sram 1190 Cassette? The consensus of the thread thus far is that the Sram Red chain has worked the best (with a few dissenters). Does everyone still feel this way? Better shifting then a Record chain in that setup? (No KMC for me - I broke a couple in the past so will avoid.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Campagnolo chain & cassette. No reason I see to use anything else on a Campagnolo group.

-Eddie

russianbear

by russianbear

I have been using shimano chains with dura ace cassette on an otherwise campy set up. Nice and quiet with that rather goopy sil tec coating shimano is using. Tried a KMC SL again and it's a little noisier and I'm betting it'll stretch much sooner. That's been my experience previously. I'll probably grab a record chain with a quick link next time. Nothing beats it on mileage. I think it's heavier than the KMC though.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Ebruner wrote:Campagnolo chain & cassette. No reason I see to use anything else on a Campagnolo group.

-Eddie

How about if you have a house full of wheelsets for Shimano/Sram??

A big part of this thread was to address this very issue.

Again the question: What chain do we like most for Campy with a Sram 1190 Cassette?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.