Switching to Campy, what chain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I'm planning a switch to Campy mechanical but I'd prefer to keep the Sram 1190 cassette I'm currently running. Everything I've read thus far confirms that the two are compatible but I haven't seen chains mentioned specifically. I'm currently using the Sram 1190 chain and it seems to me that the chain-cassette compatibility would be more important than matching the chain to the derailleurs. What does everyone else think?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

felipedana

by felipedana

I would like to hear about this as well.. are the 11 speed cassettes really compatible?

solarider

by solarider

I have used KMC chains successfully for years with Campagnolo 11 speed. Always with Campagnolo cassettes, and no problems.

I recently bought an Elite Muin trainer which was only available at the time with a Shimano cassette body, so I have been using an Ultegra cassette. Absolutely no problems to report with Campagnolo mechs, KMC chain and Shimano cassette.

The cross-comparability of all 3 big brands' 11 speed components is well documented, and the choice of chain does not seem to make a difference.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

KMC should work well, but, if you have SRAM cassette with its 1190 chain, why would you ditch it? :welcome:

I'd just keep using the current chain-cassette with the new kit.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Go on using the SRAM cassette and chain with the Campy group. All assuming the chain isn't worn out.

For many years I've using a variety of "quick-link" chains with Campy 10 and 11-speed systems, and cannot really see a difference between them.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Irish

by Irish

I used Campagnolo 11 spd cassette's and Miche cassette's with shimano chain no problem but if I was to recommend a chain it would be the campagnolo one but using a quick link.

sawyer

by sawyer

I find Campag chain and Cassette works just a bit better than anything else tbh
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

AJS914

by AJS914

Another vote for KMC or the KMC missinglink with a campy chain. I hate those Campy pins and their expensive tool.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

I'm using Sram cassette with 2015 campagnolo record and kmc x11sl - shifts perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boysa

by boysa

Campagnolo chain is the jewel of the group. With a missing link installed, of course.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

seanblurr

by seanblurr

I've been using Ultegra Cassettes and DA chains with my Campy SR quipped bike for a long time. Much cheaper and works just as good.
Instagram @seanblurr

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I've always used Campy chains with campy cassettes, no missing links, I peen the connecting pin and it's on till it wears out. The exception being if I change gearing enough, say put on a compact crank for some time in the mountains then I might break the chain and use another connecting pin to join it so that it ends up with two connecting pins at halfway points in the chain. Still peened. Two connecting pins max.
I haven't tried using a shimano 11sp wheel on an actual ride or vice versa (campy 11sp on a shimano drive train) yet, but in the stand it seemed to work fine. A friend may try out my Boras on his DA9000 drive train in some upcoming races so I'm anxious to know how goes. While he does that I'll take his Shimano wheels and try them out on mine. Will be interesting to see if the reports that they're interchangeable hold up or not. I'm kind of a stickler for perfection in drivetrains so if it isn't up to snuff then that'll be the end of that experiment for me.
But I think I'd use whichever chain goes with the drive train on the bike simply for better pickup n the front chain rings, all being designed together and all. Don't know for sure... but from some experimenting I've done with chainrings, there is a lot the manufacturers put into their chain/chainring development that seem to make matching systems work better than non matching.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

uraqt

by uraqt

Campy, and if you still have question search for the chain wear thread and read Daves posts.

Miles,miles and miles.......

C

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

On my SR EPS bike I run it with 1190 cassettes (all other bikes are RED22) and initially had issues in Big/Big with a KMC chain but then switched to a RED22 and it was much better.

That's just one experience and Ive used KMC's on other bikes with no issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Calnago,

Everything interchanges perfectly fine. Been doing it for awhile.
Instagram @seanblurr