Sram OpenGlide missing teeth - real benefit?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

Anyone was able to clearly see a benefit on the OpenGlide concept from sram? does the 3 missing teeth per cog really assists with shifting comparing to standard cassettes? I'm considering doing some grinding on my cassette to see if makes any difference (I never tried one)....Just looking for reviews before hand.

deek

by deek

Perhaps it was just to get around a patent, but SRAM doesn't do Open Glide anymore for whatever reason. Probably no performance gain to be had.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

deek wrote:Perhaps it was just to get around a patent, but SRAM doesn't do Open Glide anymore for whatever reason. Probably no performance gain to be had.

Ok thanks, in theory kinda makes sense...was just curious to hear from real experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XCProMD

by XCProMD

The concept was carried over from Sachs cassettes when SRAM bought Sachs. Interestingly only in road applications and not in MTB. It worked fine, but so it does nowadays design.

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

XCProMD wrote:The concept was carried over from Sachs cassettes when SRAM bought Sachs. Interestingly only in road applications and not in MTB. It worked fine, but so it does nowadays design.

Great thanks. I personally don't really see a difference between road and MTB applications. I am currently using a 11-28 road cassette with road RD and 22/38 Chainrings on my MTB 26" frame and is working like a charm...that's why I've started to look into the OpenGlide concept since Sram has a 11-28 cassette with that. I'm using another cassette brand but considered grinding some teeth to make it function like Open Glide...but apparently doesn't worth the task.

Thanks again

mgrennie

by mgrennie

One word:

CLUNK!

The shifting was immediate, since the chain dropped right into line, but it was not smooth at all.

DMF

by DMF

Wasn't the real benefit that it dropped some weight off of the cassette compared to common ramped shifting teeth? Incidentally I own three OG1090 cassettes, the sheer sound of an OG1090 combined with a disc wheel when the loud clunk resonates inside a hollow fully closed cassette and then echoes out thru the rear disc... Ripping thru a couple of gears in quick succession when going thru a long tunnel will slam the fear back into everyone else on that groupride...

I digress, of course... But that's what Open Glide was really all about, forget the missing teeth, this cassette is all about shock and awe! ;)

Getter

by Getter

I still run the cassette. I don't find that it shifts all that great...at least compared to the 7900 cassette I replaced it with.

The loud clunk when shifting into the high gears was kind of annoying at first...but I eventually got used to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com