Change old tubular and gain better rolling resistance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tcramer

by tcramer

My wheelset for timetrial is currently mounted with Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubulars. These were mounted in 2013 and it was one of my better gluing jobs still holding up very well. But I read an article about one of the guys developing tyres and tubulars for Specialized. He seems to indicate that older tire/tubulars would become stiffer and there loose a little bit in terms of rolling resistance (but the added stifnes increase resistance to punctures and cuts). I never thought about this before.

What is everyones opinion/experience, would a set of new tubulars offer better roling resistance? I know we are in the marginal gains department, but I would hate to give up speed even if we are talking about few seconds.
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

tcramer

by tcramer

Should perhaps mention that my current tubulars are the 320 TPI version but without ISO Grip.
Bring the mountains to Denmark!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

just ride them till worn off, then move to veloflex

em3

by em3

U r riding 2 year old tires....that is NOT old in dog years or in tubular years. Unless ur wheels have been stored in an oven for the last two years, u should rest assured that they have not hardened or lost suppleness that would be noticeable. Ride 'me till the threads r bare

boysa

by boysa

em3 wrote:....that is NOT old in dog years or in tubular years.

+1 Great line!
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Grill

by Grill

My Records have been ageing over 3 years. Old tubs are the best tubs.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I wouldn't worry about two year old tubulars, but there's no denying rubber does age and has a shelf life and becomes less pliable/supple over time. The only aging I do with tubulars is by having a few of them on hand for when I might need them due to flatting or something. Nothing intentional beyond that. I have some tires sitting on a bike in the garage that are unusable due to age and cracking and they have never even been ridden.
I wouldn't be pulling off the tires you have though. Just ride them till you flat at least or wear them out.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ