Campagnolo 2015 chainset combos

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

reippuert

by reippuert

BlackMadone wrote:
kkibbler wrote:Unfortunately Campag do not have a mid-cage RD (or do they?). That would take care of the chain length and slack problem.

Its not needed.

I'm running:
1.gen Chorus Ultratroque 50/34
10 speed Centaur 12-30 cassette - i have previously used 13/29 with no issues.
2009 1.gen 11 speed Chorus rear derailure.
2009 1.gen 11 speed Record front derailure.

Max capacity according to Campy is 32 tooth for the pre 2015 geomitry rear-derailure. My 34 tooth span means that i'll have to avoid 50/27 & 50/30 and that the chain is too loose to use 34/12. Not a major problem but when decending long fast decentes with small counter climbs i'll have to take notice of not dumping the small chainring when in 50/12. In praxis it means that im never using 50/12.

50/27 is proberbly safe to use but i'm woriried about the torque while climbing so i try to avoid it. It can shift to 50/30 but the torque and stress of the rear derailure is massive -even if the the torqe was OK i wouldn't dream of using it because of the chainline.
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Attermann

by Attermann

i have tried 52/34 now, it works just perfectly, with a 2015 chorus group

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

If you try the 52-34 combination, the problem is that it *may* and it *may not* work ... some users have had it working OK, some have found it problematic because there are a range of factors beyond the simple capacities of the derailleurs - remember that these are specified for a range of frame designs - some designs will have parameters outside of those considered, some sets of parameters within those considered allow just a little more flexibility - but one user saying "it works for me" isn't necessarily an indication that it will work in every case ...

The factory have tested the scenario and do not recommend it, or warranty any of the transmission parts if it is used!

The factors that control it are:

Seat angle relative to chainstay angle - if this angle is wider than approx 64 deg or smaller than 62 deg you will probably have some issues around downshift from big to small ring and may not be able to get the full span of the rear cassette (depending on the biggest sprocket size) without chain rub, on the big chainring. In extreme cases the chain may rub on the inside-top of the cage, rather than on the inner plate.

Have a look here:
http://www.campagnolo.com/media/files/0 ... _06_13.pdf

And see the limitations as described within Campagnolo's spec on pages 7 and 8 - although these are for EPS, mechanical is the same - it's just a question of geometry.

The chainstay length and the exact relative positions of the rear axle and the BB centre, the rear hanger geometry and the exact angle of hang of the RD - in some cases, the chain can be cropped and the RD hang & jockey cage set to accommodate a larger-than-quoted total chain capacity but there is sometimes a degradation in RD function at the top of the gear range (i.e. 52 x 11 (where fitted) 12, 13, 14) as the RD can't necessarily maintain the optimum top jockey to sprocket spacing.

With a 34 inner ring you will certainly get significantly more scrape on the inside of the 52 ring when the chain is at the 11, 12, 13T end of the cassette - the chain may in this case pick up against the lift pins on the outer ring, causing an effect like "chain suck". This effect will be made worse if the chain is only barely tensioned.

All in all, I'd avoid it like the plague!
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!