Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE or Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jian81

by Jian81

Hi guys would like to hear your opinions on which wheelset to get.
Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLE or the Fulcrum Racing Zero Nite?
I ride in mainly flat terrain. I prefer speed over comfort and I enjoy sprinting. However, I do own a set of Farsports Tubular 50mm carbon rim wheelset. It would be good if anyone can compare either with the Farsports 50mm 23mm width wheelset that I own.
Which wheel is better in terms of stiffness based on your experience? Stiffness is very important to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
oh and the price for each wheelset available to me is as such:
Mavic $1300USD
Fulcrum $1200 USD

sawyer

by sawyer

Just out of interest - why limit the choice to these two?

Of the two I would go for the Fulcrums unless you want them for TTs also, though they will be a bit
less aerodynamic. Fulcrums for me because:

- lighter
- better hubs
- look better

Both are pretty stiff and tough
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RM27

by RM27

The Racing Zero Night rim width are the same width as last years Racing Zero model, correct? I'm thinking of the Zero Carbon (I know not on your list) as they have the updated rim profile.

Jian81

by Jian81

Yea but the zero carbons are way out of my budget unless anyone knows where i can get it cheap at a similar peice of the Cosmics?

zappafile123

by zappafile123

If you are limiting the choice to just those two (which you shouldnt) I would go for the zero's without a second thought. I used to own Cosmic Carbone SLs and they do not have very nice manner in cross-winds. Be prepared for sudden, difficult to predict steering torque with each gust. Going down hills with this is very unpleasant. Also, mavic hubs are shit. Further, cosmics are friggen heavy. If you want aero go for a set of Heds, or even Zipp firecrest - they can be had for circa 1200 these days second hand.

Zero nites have fantastic hubs, are fairly light and have excellent though very noisy braking.
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They are apples and oranges. The better comparison would be the Fulcrum Red Wind vs. Mavic Cosmic SLE.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Have you thought about full carbon options?

zappafile123

by zappafile123

pdlpsher1 wrote:They are apples and oranges. The better comparison would be the Fulcrum Red Wind vs. Mavic Cosmic SLE.

+1
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Jian81

by Jian81

Yes i do own a set of 50mm 23mm width U shaped 20/24spokes ED Hub Farsports tubular wheelset. However i wish to compare the stiffness. Does anyone own both a farsport and mavic cosmic and can compare the stiffness?

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I don't own the farsports but the Mavic Cosmic I have is unyielding. I went from a traditional 32 spoke open pro wheels to the Cosmic and I couldn't believe the difference in stiffness and power transfer.

borinomi

by borinomi

If choice is limited to these two... I will have Fulcrum.

morkm

by morkm

Fulcrum. Amazingly stiff wheelset and superior hubs.

soberhawk

by soberhawk

I have a cosmic carbon SLE wheel sets assembled in canyon aeroad bike.
And the testing is done and the peformance is very impressive to me.
It is suitable for the aero frame and very fast in straight cycling.
I think two wheel sets is already excellent but, in my case, the best one is cosmic sle wheel.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

We're loving the Zero Nite wheels!
but if you can stretch the budget, get the Zero Carbons - they're the best full carbon clincher for the money and really stiff!! :D