2016 Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah he was on the ViAS for the sprint. Was just curious if he had switched at some point.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

tinozee wrote:Shitty spoiler bro. Don't expect to see same day race results in a thread like this.

Ouch...I'm really sorry about the spoiler. I didn't even think about it before I saw your post. :oops:

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

jeffy

by jeffy

about 10=15km from the end i think, tv missed it, but it was clear one minute on tarmac, next on new venge

joepac

by joepac

Maybe I'm just an idiot, but I don't understand how it could possibly be faster for pros to switch bikes. You have to stop, switch, restart, catch on, then move up the group. Even with sticky bottles and car drafting it seems like it would be easier to just haul an extra pound or two up a hill... Especially when some of that should be offset by aero gains! I just can't fathom being so close to the limit uphill that this is somehow a better option, but still be able to throw down in a bunch sprint.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Flat?
Using Tapatalk

Darceking

by Darceking

He did say he swapped bikes for the sprint. Hence the reason why the DS tossed the bottle at the moto rider

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

^we are now talking about the Vuelta.....

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

So I've got an opportunity to check out Specialized's wind tunnel and Venge later today (and possibly ride it over the weekend), anything you guys want me to ask about either? I'll obviously check out the brakes, but as a pretty light rider, a stiff breeze can often stop me just fine :lol: so I don't know if I'd be the best for that test.

bungis

by bungis

BeeSeeBee wrote:So I've got an opportunity to check out Specialized's wind tunnel and Venge later today (and possibly ride it over the weekend), anything you guys want me to ask about either? I'll obviously check out the brakes, but as a pretty light rider, a stiff breeze can often stop me just fine :lol: so I don't know if I'd be the best for that test.

Might be a bit provocative but can you ask whether or not they used a full-size dummy rider when testing in the wind tunnel and their reasoning for such.

e: Also, water bottles.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Ask what the average amount of front wheel deflection is for riders and how that affects the front wheel cutout.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

bungis wrote:Might be a bit provocative but can you ask whether or not they used a full-size dummy rider when testing in the wind tunnel and their reasoning for such.

e: Also, water bottles.

Chris actually laid out the testing protocol on slowtwitch, it was pretty good.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/cgi-bin/gforum.cgi?post=5595701#5595701

Sorry, in the text of my post where I included that image, I stated that the y-axis is CdA and each division is 0.002 m^2.

Frame size: 56cm
Fit Coordinates: will need to dig up exact stack and reach coordinates, but as stated earlier it roughly corresponded to a 8-10mm dust cap + 110 mm 6 deg stem; pretty much every bike was able to hit this position with just a few mm of adjustment (e.g. I don't recall any of the competitor bikes requiring an actual spacer).
Wheels/tires: all tested with Roval CLX60s and SW24 tires inflated to 100psi.
Bars: Round compact *except* when the bike is spec'd with a proprietary or integrated solution (e.g. Cervelo's new bar with the updated S5, Propel, Canyon Aeroroad, Venge ViAS)
Saddle: Romin 143
Bottles and cages: 2x rib cage w/ 22 oz bottles
Rider: the graph I posted is for no rider - we've tested the same set with both a full mannequin and lower half only. We've also tested a limited set of interesting ones with a live rider. In all cases (interestingly) involving aero road bikes the CdA deltas held within 0.001-0.002 m^2 of the bike alone tests. As a result, using the no rider graph is easier to read since the max/min values for each bike (vs. bike+rider) isn't as dramatic.
Ambient conditions: varied slightly through the block of testing, but we measure in real time barometric pressure, relative humidity, and temperature to determine air density which is used for determining CdA from the raw force values (aero geek side note: we actually measure dynamic pressure directly from a pitot so we don't technically need air density to determine CdA, but we do anyways to know wind speed from dynamic pressure).
Velocity: Ran at 50km/h wind speed, but again this is normalized out as we record and report CdA. We have done a subset of testing at 40km/h as well and the CdA values hold (meaning the flow regime is consistent in that speed range).

My issue with the protocol was the speccing of a round bar on bikes without an integrated setup as opposed to an aero road bar like the Aerofly. I don't think it changed the fact that the Venge came out ahead, but perhaps the delta between it and the next fastest would have been narrowed a bit. The Felt AR tested a little faster than the S5 in Tour's test, so if it was handicapped by a round bar since it doesn't have a proprietary bar setup, that doesn't sit well with me.

justkeepedaling wrote:Ask what the average amount of front wheel deflection is for riders and how that affects the front wheel cutout.

Radial deflection from just riding? or do you mean under braking forces? The bike doesn't seem to have a glaring difference in spacing between the tire and down tube compared to other aero bikes as far as I can see.

climbandpunishment

by climbandpunishment

If you could, ask them what the free stream turbulence levels in the tunnel are, and see if you can tell where the tunnel pitot tubes are mounted. I'm really curious to see how applicable all the WinTunnel videos really are to real world conditions. Not sure if they'll feel comfortable answering, but it's worth a shot. Thank you, and have fun; I hear it's a great tour!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

BeeSeeBee wrote:So I've got an opportunity to check out Specialized's wind tunnel and Venge later today (and possibly ride it over the weekend), anything you guys want me to ask about either? I'll obviously check out the brakes, but as a pretty light rider, a stiff breeze can often stop me just fine :lol: so I don't know if I'd be the best for that test.

Any tests on how slippery the older styler wheels are in the new frame?

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

They tested the against all the road bikes with the CLX60 at 24.4mm wide wheels due to some fit issues with the frame, but tested against the Shiv TT with the new CLX64 at 29.9mm wide, so you can see a pretty big advantage at yaw

With CLX60

With CLX64

I'm at work so can't overlay them.

who_intheworld

by who_intheworld

I'm curious about the wind tunnel test comparison without bottles.
Since the sprinters seem to throw their bottles away before the final sprint,
I want to know how this affects the drag of each bikes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com