2016 Venge

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CBJ

by CBJ

KWalker wrote:
Ahillock wrote:
chrisyu wrote:
Tarmac definitely still has a place. As much as we've improved the ride quality of the Venge (significantly increased front end and fork stiffness) and in some cases set a new benchmark (highest BB stiffness of any platform we currently make), the overall ride quality of the Tarmac is still unbeaten. So for those riders that value that above everything else, including all out speed, the Tarmac is still the go to bike. [/quot
If worried about 'ride quality' maybe potential riders should go for the Roubaix. Or consider wider tires. Or consider dropping the tire pressure. Or get new bibs. Or a new saddle...

Disagree 100%. The Roubaix geo isn't great for non-Freds/upright riders and its really not necessary for a lot of people. Its not all that much more comfortable and isn't a great race bike/all around bike for your average competitor. And as others pointed out, its not light either. With gravel bikes becoming more common its moving in a different direction geo wise as well and wouldn't be all that fun to race in a tight course either. Doesn't mean they shouldn't consider tire quality or pressure, but that would be the case for ANY bike and not a modification necessary for a specific platform.

I am sure you are right but I have a crazy build need the tall HT.

I have the SL3 which is more comfortable than the SL4. I agree with much of what you state and my two previous bikes were s-works Tarmacs. If I had the choice today I would choose a longer HT Tarmac or Venge over a Roubaix if that was an option plenty of comfort in some 25c tires. I also have a dedicated Gravel bike (GT Grade) and its a better bike in the rough than the Roubaix.

On the ability to turn there is tons of discussions like this in mountain biking too and I will claim the little longer wheelbase really do not make a difference if you know how to turn a bike. On the other side I think for the average rider it adds more stability and makes for an easier ride at speeds.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

H0RSE

by H0RSE

I saw this thread and I was like, and then finally I was like:

L3X

by L3X

chrisyu wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Terrific to see you drop by Chris. Couple more questions:

- will there be models of the VAiS below S-Works?

- if the VAiS is as fast as the Shiv, how long before the new Shiv?

- am I reading the CLX64 chart correctly? As it certainly implies that wheelset is faster than what traditional TT 'knowledge' would imply. In that a disk rear (paired with a comparable depth front) will always be faster than same front and rear. The FC 404 front and rear seem to support that belief. Only the CLX64 blow convention out of the water. Simply: should I be selling my disk for a set of these Roval wheels?

Grazie.

No news yet on ViAS models below SW. There will however be a module available in addition to the bike.

Awesome to see you post here Chris, interesting to read!

Regarding the below SW level Venge VIAS, the Specialized site does show a pro version: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/2016-early-launch-bikes/venge

jeffy

by jeffy

hey chris, great to see you in this thread.

having just bought a nose-less Power saddle. Riding today i wondered wether it was more aero to not have my balls hanging off the front.

Could we get a wind tunnel comparison video?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Really?
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

H0RSE

by H0RSE

Drop Everything.

Drop every man, woman and child from the helicopter.

hasbeen

by hasbeen

and mic hits the floor
Casati Vola SLi and Dolan Preffisio
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=108931" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
btompkins0112 wrote:
It has the H2 geo......one step racier than a hybrid bike

jeffy

by jeffy

to be more serious. meandering around youtube i found this bikeradar review of the process of how the press reviewers
were taken through previewing the Venge and the 'gains'.

whilst it is still basically just numbers, it seems much more human and real when presented like this (or at least i think so)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EIACkAGpf4

chrisyu
in the industry

by chrisyu

jeffy wrote:hey chris, great to see you in this thread.

having just bought a nose-less Power saddle. Riding today i wondered wether it was more aero to not have my balls hanging off the front.

Could we get a wind tunnel comparison video?

Haha. No.

Power saddle is great though. Can't go back to a "normal" saddle now.
Chris Yu
Specialized Bicycle Components
Aerodynamics/Racing R&D
@chrisyuinc

Slack

by Slack

JOARA wrote:and with huge triangular fairings on the fork legs to cover the brakes.

I need to see better pics - but i'm not liking where it's heading

/Martin

We're 24 pages into this thread, it's been mentioned countless times. They are not fairings for the brakes, they are the brakes.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

Slack wrote:
JOARA wrote:and with huge triangular fairings on the fork legs to cover the brakes.

I need to see better pics - but i'm not liking where it's heading

/Martin

We're 24 pages into this thread, it's been mentioned countless times. They are not fairings for the brakes, they are the brakes.

Well for some reason this Joara guy chose to quote my reply from page 1 when we didn't know anything about the bike other than a poor spy shot. I appreciate the effort from Specialized to deliver a flull blow racebike. It's certainly not for me neither the looks nor the technical solutions.

/Martin
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

Does anyone know why both Cav and Sagan were not riding the new Venge today? Weather?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Caley Fretz on twitter reported that Cav told him he doesn't like the brakes. That's why he's not on it.

https://twitter.com/caleyfretz/status/618785324018335744

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Reply from Chris Yu please.

Great to come here and promote the positive, but you have to stick it out for the ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stoney

by stoney

I guess being able to stop is important in this crashfest known as the Tour de France. #brakesareimportant