How to clamp your bike?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

random101

by random101

So I'm yet to do any intense work to my bike on my newly purchased stand, at present its just used as a bike stand and I have tuned some gears.

I leave the clamp open and just have the top tube resting on the clamp.

From what I've been reading clamping on the TT is a big no no. and should aim for the seatpost if I must.

So what are your tricks to it? What is the right and wrong way of doing it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Everyone

by Everyone

I always clamp on the seatpost, they're cheaper to replace if you crush them! If I'm just doing some quick work (like lube the chain etc) then I might hang the bike from the nose of the saddle.

kode54

by kode54

i just rest min on the top tube without clamping. if i need to clamp it down...seat tube only.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Yes, I notice how the clamp was squeezing my TTT and I quickly stopped that!

rmerka

by rmerka

99% of the time seatpost. If I need to hold it by the TT, like if I'm setting the seatpost, I'll close the clamp until it just touches the TT with no force to keep the bike from rocking on the clamp.

spookyload

by spookyload

Depends on what type of frame material and the clamp type too. If it is steel or ti, it really doesn't matter. For carbon and aluminum I would always go for the seatpost if you can. Integrated seat masts and aero shapes have made that harder these days however.

phunky

by phunky

after reading about some bad experiences with camping issues, I went with a "race style" Park PRS-20 stand and feel much better about having no risk of crushing anything that shouldn't be....

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

I've seen others use an old, cheap aluminum seatpost just to clamp the bike on to the stand -- clamping on a carbon post is just as perilous. I use the Park PRS-20 as well.

604carsten

by 604carsten

How hard do you guys clamp the bikes???
If you tighten it so much it crushes or have to hang off the stand to close the clamp, then its your own fault!

I hang all my bikes off the top tube and dial the clamp so it baaaaarely touches the top of the top tube when closed.
This way it stays put when I tweak gears and do general cleaning/ brake adjusts.

If this is too much, then I am assuming nobody carries their bikes or transports via car racks anymore either huh?..

fogman

by fogman

I use the Feedback Sprint Stand which is a fork mount stand similar to the PRS-20.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

Fiery

by Fiery

604carsten wrote:How hard do you guys clamp the bikes???
If you tighten it so much it crushes or have to hang off the stand to close the clamp, then its your own fault!

I hang all my bikes off the top tube and dial the clamp so it baaaaarely touches the top of the top tube when closed.
This way it stays put when I tweak gears and do general cleaning/ brake adjusts.

If this is too much, then I am assuming nobody carries their bikes or transports via car racks anymore either huh?..

Even when barely closed, the clamp can exert a lot of force on the top tube when doing stuff like installing cranks, wrapping bars or tuning gears and spinning the cranks, and even more if the bike gets knocked by accident. Besides, it is far more convenient to work on a bike that's firmly and securely connected to the stand. It takes very little extra effort to clamp by the seat post for a lot of extra security and convenience.

esfrost

by esfrost

I have a carbon frame, but aluminium seatpost, so i always clamp on the seatpost, its the safest way for me.

Svetty

by Svetty

Tacx fork style stand here as well. I just don't see why people with carbon frames use clamping stands.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

I think there is significantly less crushing going on with bike stands than what most naysayers would us to believe is going on..... I'm sure it happens I just don't think it's a common occurrence.