Campy Neutron Hub/Freehub Issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

Thanks, and thanks.

@Valbrona... what you suggest is exactly what I mentioned above, and I think you may be correct. My guess, since I tried two different lockrings, is the space between the outer freehub bearing and the end of the axle (outer) is too short. Therefore, as I tighten down the cassette, what you refer to is happening. The edge of the lockring is catching on the cartridge bearing and binding it. It is the most logical answer. I will rummage around and see if I can't locate an 11T alloy lockring to mess with.

@Androidavies... I recently had a cracked freehub, as well, and had no idea. I'll give this one a once-over, but at the end of the day my best be may be to shell out a few dollars for a new freehub. If it doesn't change anything, I'm sure it'll eventually be put to use.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

micky

by micky

I was referring to the spacer, between the freehub and the lockring; when I've got the Shimano 11 speed freehub, I didnt find any spacer and just used what I had in the other freehub.
I found out that it was too long and compressing everything aka blocking the hub/freehub from running smoothly.
Again, hope it helps!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Quick follow-up:

I received a new freehub, swapped it with the old one, problem solved. I only glanced at the two side-by-side but I didn't see anything remarkably different. I don't want to take it apart again as I'm getting ready for a trip over the weekend, but whenever I get a chance to dive back in there I'll see if I can get some measurements and try to discover where the difference may lie. At this point I can only believe... possibly... the outer freehub bearing is misaligned.

Thanks again to all the ideas put forth. I truly appreciate the help!

Salvatore
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny