I chose the 2015 Cervelo R3... Right choice? *ff question*

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hellabiker

by hellabiker

Hey everyone!

Im new here. so please bare with me.

I need your inputs on this one..

I'm a triathlete wannabe who only has 1 bike.. 2012 Cervelo P3.
I've been using my P3 on training and races for more than 3 years already. This year my peers and teammates have influenced mo to join road cycling events/races.
So I decided to get my self a new road bike.

Last week I got the chance to choose whether to buy a 2015 Cervelo R3 or S3. Same spec. $200 dollar difference(S3).

what I like about the R3: (based on research)
-iconic bike
-balanced stiffness to weight ratio
-comfortable
-Light

what i don't like about the R3:
-olor ( i like the color of the S3)
-less aero??
-old style

what I like about the S3: (based on research)
-probably faster? (aero)
-future (manufacturers are into aero)
-color

what i don't like about the S3:
-heavier
-I want a different riding experience

My decision is the R3. I already bought it.. theres no turning back.
I'm not having any regrets with my purchase.. I just wanna hear some of your inputs.

Did I make the right choice?

Thanks!!
Last edited by hellabiker on Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CP

by CP

Man,
You did the research, you bought the bike, don't look back. You did the right thing. OK?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

As long as you don't post a photo here of the bike with the seat 1 mm out of position you should be safe. :P
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

trex021

by trex021

I agree with your pros and cons except you listed "old style" for the R3. A)Non-aero road bikes aren't going away anytime soon. B)if you meant the R3 is an older design, it was new as of 2014 and pretty aero actually. Don't look back, man. The R3 is a great bike.

spookyload

by spookyload

Just a little buyers remorse. Enjoy the new ride

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Seat too low, too many stem spacers, seat and bar tape don't match, wheels too heavy, ...........etc.

Enjoy the ride, and remember, its not the bike, its the engine........although a nice bike is fun too!

I know many people on new R3's and S3's and they are all happy. I just did a ride this weekend with some senior Cervelo people, and for what its worth, the S3 is their go to bike.

nobuseri

by nobuseri

R3 is a nice bike; I think you will be happy with it.

I have a 2014 R3 in my stable. Very nice bike.

Enjoy!
Cicli Barco XCr Road
Moots VaMoots
Parlee Z1
SuperX Hi-Mod Disc

hellabiker

by hellabiker

Thanks for all your reply guys.

Well yeah.. I'm happy with my purchase. It's just that its not with me yet... So I really dont know what to expect. I just hope it wont disappoint.

Im really excited for the bike to arrive in a few weeks!

anyway.. Another question, did I do the right choice my not getting a disc compatible road bike? I'm kinda want to future proof my purchase but I'm really not sure where the market is headed towards road bike with discs.

bluebee

by bluebee

not bad, It's very reasonable price.

em3

by em3

....stop second guessing ur choices, get ur head out of the magazine and internet marketing vortex, and most importantly, GO RIDE!!!

spookyload

by spookyload

Trying to buy road disc to future proof is a losing battle. As there are hardly any bikes out right now with disc, who knows what the standard will end up being. Cross disc bikes were 135mm rear spacing, but now many are moving to 142mm spacing. I think there is a lot of development yet to come with rear disc and any standard.

mimason

by mimason

I've rented and R3 a while back in Santa Rosa ( Levi Fondo!) . It was a great bike then and always will be. I'm renting an R3 soon in Banff, can't wait.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djconnel

by djconnel

I recently watched Escape From Alcatraz, which is a great spectator event. What really surprised me was while the top 5 guys, for example, were all on full-on time trial bikes, after that it was quite mixed. There was even a guy in the top 10 or so without aero bars. Now this obviously slowed him down, but compared to the swim differences, the amount it slowed him was rather negligible.

I think you should dial in your position on the bike and be happy. The bike will be comfortable, will handle well, and you'll get off the bike ready to rip it on the run.