Jagwire Elite Link creaks

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Hello people,

Since a few months I use the Jagwire Elite Link and I really like the concept of it. Till I discovered it creaks when I shift to the last big cog. It looks like the creak comes when the tension on it is high because in de smaller cogs it's not there and in combination with the movement of the handlebar while climbing it's really annoying.

Yesterday I used some little race oil of Morgan Blue and I hope it will be gone. I'm curious if there are more people who has this problem.

Thx

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I've used them for a few months with no issues at all. /shrug

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

JasperGr wrote:Hello people,

Since a few months I use the Jagwire Elite Link and I really like the concept of it. Till I discovered it creaks when I shift to the last big cog. It looks like the creak comes when the tension on it is high because in de smaller cogs it's not there and in combination with the movement of the handlebar while climbing it's really annoying.

Yesterday I used some little race oil of Morgan Blue and I hope it will be gone. I'm curious if there are more people who has this problem.

Thx

Perhaps you have it too tight?
Used and still use same set and i have no issues....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Oke thanks for the input guys! I will check it this afternoon/evening.

torob

by torob

I had creaks too - developed after a few months of use. I don't think it has anything to do with them being too tight - mine creaked as I twisted my handlebars left to right. For a while I thought it was my headset that was making the unpleasant noises. My solution (similar to Jasper's above) is to wipe them down with WD40. It fixes the creaking! :beerchug:
Using Tapatalk

eric01

by eric01

I use both nokons and jagwire link. Both develop a little creaking over time. A little dab of oil sorts it out. Not a big deal. The "compressionless feel" not to mention the coolness factor outweigh the occasional need to lube.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

sungod

by sungod

^this

my nokon ones started to creak after a while, accumulation of dust etc. perhaps

just drizzle finishline ptfe dry lube along the housing, wiggle the cable around so that the lube will penetrate between the links, then wipe clean

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I've been using Powercordz Swift for a while, almost a year now. No issue. Though it could be related to me only using it for brakes as my shifting are electronic.

eric01 wrote:I use both nokons and jagwire link. Both develop a little creaking over time. A little dab of oil sorts it out. Not a big deal. The "compressionless feel" not to mention the coolness factor outweigh the occasional need to lube.

You forgot to add, lighter too. :mrgreen:

JasperGr

by JasperGr

I also thought it came from the headset or cable stop but after a while another cable made some creaks.. And because some of you had the same problem i will maintain them.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Just an update after I did a 2h ride and the creak is gone (for now..) so i'm a happy man again! But for a good test I have to test it on a col. The only problem is that I live near Rotterdam so the nearest "col" is a bridge...

MNX1024 wrote:I've been using Powercordz Swift for a while, almost a year now. No issue. Though it could be related to me only using it for brakes as my shifting are electronic.

eric01 wrote:I use both nokons and jagwire link. Both develop a little creaking over time. A little dab of oil sorts it out. Not a big deal. The "compressionless feel" not to mention the coolness factor outweigh the occasional need to lube.

You forgot to add, lighter too. :mrgreen:

You forgot another thing, you can reuse the segments so the replacement parts are cheap (Liner 2m ~$4 and cables for $20).

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Same happens with ilinks - lube and wipe clean and is quiet.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kkibbler

by kkibbler

I don't think the Jagwire Link cables are totally reusable. The links are reusable, but the liner is fixed at one end to a single special link. It's easy to shorten a cable, just take off a few links and cut the liner, but to lengthen, AFAIK you can't just buy a new length of some other liner and run it through the links; the liner would slide around.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Yhea I thought the same but last week I had the problem of cutting the liner too short. So I removed the end segment and used a new liner. At the of the liner I used a hex key too widen the liner so it will not slip true the end segment. Case done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooooooel

by jooooooel

I didn't know about the Jagwire Links until I found this thread a few weeks ago. I liked the idea of separate links so I got a set.

I have a size small bike frame meaning short head tube so the cables have to be cut really short. This makes the cables stiff. The rear brake cable end up pushing the steering to the right making it difficult to take my hand off the bars. The front brake caliper also interferes with the housings - it now has a deep gouge from a rubbing against the cable housing.

The separate links make the housing much more flexible. I am able to set it up with much shorter cable housing which solves the interference issues. The brake housing no longer pushes the steering to one side letting the bike track straight.

A little pricey but meets my needs. If some lube every now and then is all out needs, I'm good with it. So happy.