Recommend Travel Race Bike/Crit Frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

So, as much as I like to use my Litespeed for everything, the cost of replacing parts in the event of a clumsy baggage handler or a mishap in a race is getting to the point to justify a dedicated build.

I'm looking for a frame that meets the following criteria:

-Can withstand the impact of luggage on the top tube/seat stays
-Is likely to survive a crash in a crit
-Has similar geo/handling characteristics to my Litespeed (73 HT, 73.5 ST, 97.1 Wheelbase) so that I can be comfortable getting on it and racing

My first thought is a CAAD10, but I'm concerned the tubes are going to more susceptible to dents. I could be wrong though so please correct me if I am.

For some reason, I think a heavy carbon frame would be better at meeting the above criteria of durability. A Colnago C40 comes to mind, but only because I want one pretty badly and that could kill two birds with one stone. Geo/handling would be way off, but I think I'd be willing to put up with it since I'd be willing to ride it more often; whereas, if I got a CAAD10 I don't think I'd ride it for anything other than Crits/travel. Another Litespeed comes to mind too. I think the straight walled Ti tubes on the Xicon could probably handle a good amount of abuse.

Hmm...decisions decisions.

Danza

by Danza

Spooky?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Maybe S&S coupling for the lightspeed or a steel Ritchey breakaway.

53x12

by 53x12

A used Cannonade System-Six Hi-Mod? $500-600 gets you one. Strip the paint if you so choose and re-spray it.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

jordan00

by jordan00

Im in the same situation at the moment. Looking to build up a crit bike as i dont want to risk crashing my C59 (..again). Previously i was using my Colnago Master for some crits which was fun, but slow, and have basically decided on a CAAD.

Came to this decision as i was looking at 2nd hand carbon frames to build up, but for the same price of a new CAAD id be looking at something from 2011, or with 20,000km on it. As my racing is still just for fun im thinking the CAAD will be more than enough with some decent components. Guess it depends what level you're aiming for? Gets easy to get carried away speccing a bike but remember if its a race bike do you want to be replacing $400 bars if you lay it down!

RyanH

by RyanH

While I can pick up a lot of great frames (or complete bikes) for a relative bargain, I'm looking for something that is going to be robust enough to handle the worst that the airlines can dish out. My primary concern is that I don't want to spend $300 in airline fees to haul around a broken bike.

Granted, as I write this, I just finished packing up my bike in my Pika Packworks case and was reminded that most of the frame is protected by the wheels. The fork and rear stays could be damaged on either end, as well as the bars, so I'm possibly over thinking the airline part of it or the extent that I can at least prevent that.

@jordan00, I think the CAAD10's can keep most people happy, even high category racers for crits.

Regarding the S&S coupling, that was something I looked at, and while it'd avoid a lot of airline fees, I'd be more tempted to looking at an English build at that point. But, I'd still want a dedicated crit bike then. Aggh, if only the answer was to have 4 bikes.

I guess the question at this point is can I get a cool bike (e.g. a simple C40 build) that is robust as hell and race worthy?

Everyone

by Everyone

I'd definitely have a look at one of the Ritchey breakaways. I've got a massive soft spot for Ritchey frames though so take whatever I say with a pinch of salt.

If you really want something that can take baggage handlers abuse then you should be looking at getting a good hard case surely?

RyanH

by RyanH

I've considered the hard case but what puts me off about most of them is that they often incur additional fees above the $150 per way.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I picked up a Giant TCR SLR for this purpose. Maybe also in the Caad10 mold be stiffness is incredibly impressive for any material and the handling is money.

I wouldn't overlook a Ridley Excalibur if you find one cheap, great handling bike and has been tough for me.

edit-fwiw I also have an Evo which is a great handling bike but more planted than the Giant which I find a touch more aggressive.

RyanH

by RyanH

Hmm, the TCR is something that I could definitely get behind:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

phunky

by phunky

Consider a custom (Ti) build with S&S coupling. Tom Kellogg built me a really sweet Ti frame this is now my travel bike and my everyday bike. My only complaint is that it makes justifying another rig hard!!