How to tie your lace up cycling shoes to prevent Heel Slip

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

syncmaster

by syncmaster

Tried this method this morning with my Giro Empires and it made a pretty significant difference. The size of shoe I wear has just a tiny amount of slip in the heel, but tying the shoes like this eliminated the slip. Simple and effective!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IijQyX_YCKA

uraqt

by uraqt

Thanks that is great to know :)

C

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Good tip! I once saw an article in a hiking/backpacking magazine on various lacing techniques. I had never given it much thought, other than noticing the aesthetic mods kids do on their sneakers. As it turns out, there are over a half dozen different functional methods to lace a shoe/boot, that do things like isolate forefoot lace tension from ankle tension and vice versa, as well as prevent loosening of the lower laces while you grab the slack out of the upper ones. If anyone is interested in the other methods, try a quick google search related to hiking boots.

Syncmaster, out of curiosity, was heel slip a problem for you while riding, or only while walking? From my experience, it is mostly a problem while walking due to the pivoting action of the pedal spindle taking some of the load off the heel when riding.

syncmaster

by syncmaster

TheKaiser:

You're absolutely right that the heel slip problem is only present when walking. On the bike I don't really notice it. However this lacing method has been most helpful in making sure the shoes are snug when I lace them and that has also minimized heel slip.