2016 Madone 9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wayne007

by Wayne007

Hi guys ,I have a madone 9.9 size 56cm h2 fit ,all standards with dura ace pedals it weights 15lbs
The bike rides very nice indeed ,have had the 7 series and Emonda ,I would say it feels very smooth ,goes up hill well and holds speed nicely,I've only done about 50miles on it as weather not been great
But the little rides I've done ,very impressed,
Best bit is the looks ,the pics don't do it no justice,
Thanks

albertop07

by albertop07

rwlinda wrote:Thanks for your reply, but it doesn't really answer my question :)

I'd like to know how high the seat can really go...
For instance, I do have a 2015 Trek Speed Concept size L. Specs said max seat height is 841mm, but my seat height is 846 and still have 10mm left, so it can actually go all the way to 856. I did not get a higher stack saddle or anything ... still using the Bontrager one that came with the bike.
Since I'm so close to fitting a 60cm I wonder if there's this same kind of margin on the current Madone.

It feels like a deja vu, had the same debate last year when I was getting the SC and am glad I decided to go with the smaller frame.

I don't believe you will be able to go any further than the specs. On the new Madone the seat post has 2 bolts and they prevent you from going any further then max height. The bolts are on the seat post, not the frame.

Get the manual on Trek's website (do a Google for "MY16_Madone_Assembly_Manual.pdf"). On page 27 you will see how the seat post works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

albertop07

by albertop07

KWalker wrote:Any more real world weights? I'm finding a huge delta in weight reports for the H1 series bikes. Tour's listed weights and some of the weights in the intro thread seem much higher than original reported weights in press articles.

I have an H2 Project One Madone size 54 with Dura Ace Di2, Stages, Look pedals, Zipp 404 Tubular. Total weight is 7.520g

rwlinda

by rwlinda

albertop07 wrote:I don't believe you will be able to go any further than the specs. On the new Madone the seat post has 2 bolts and they prevent you from going any further then max height. The bolts are on the seat post, not the frame.

Get the manual on Trek's website (do a Google for "MY16_Madone_Assembly_Manual.pdf"). On page 27 you will see how the seat post works.

Thanks! Yes, that clears things up. Will go to my Trek dealer/bike fitter this Saturday to decide which one's gonna be :). Bike fitting can be such a delicate thing.

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

albertop07 wrote:
KWalker wrote:Any more real world weights? I'm finding a huge delta in weight reports for the H1 series bikes. Tour's listed weights and some of the weights in the intro thread seem much higher than original reported weights in press articles.

I have an H2 Project One Madone size 54 with Dura Ace Di2, Stages, Look pedals, Zipp 404 Tubular. Total weight is 7.520g

Thank you! I have additional question. Does this wieght include bottle cages and mount for cycling computer and lights?

albertop07

by albertop07

Skunkworks wrote:
albertop07 wrote:

Thank you! I have additional question. Does this wieght include bottle cages and mount for cycling computer and lights?

Weight with bottle cages, Garmin mount, Sensors, etc. Just removed the tail light (which is detachable).

Tires are Vittoria with NoTubes in.

rwlinda

by rwlinda

Ordered the 9.9 H2 P1 frameset yesterday! Had to go with the 62cm frame as the saddle won't go high enough on the 60. No biggy, my 2013 Madone is a 62cm frame as well. And I get to remove 15mm of the provided spacers, so I won't have the ridiculous spacer stack I'd have on a 60cm bike. Anyway, other specs:

- Solid Logo with Petrol Pearl / Bright Silver
- Dura Ace di2
- Bar stem 100/400mm
- 205mm seatpost with 5mm setback
- Ajna Pro saddle 144mm
- Mavic r-sys slr wts exalith 2 wheelset with lightweight latex inner tubes and 25mm Veloflex Corsa tires. I already have a set of DA C50 on my Speed Concept, so I can use those on flat rides in the Madone as well
- Pedals will be my current Garmin Vector 2 (this one also gives cadence info and the computer will get speed from gps, so no need for other sensors)
- Topeak carbon bottle cages

This should bring the bike just below 7kg.
All I currently want to look for are different skewers. The Mavic ones are 108gr and think I can shave off about 65 grams by getting titanium ones from Fournier.

The bike should be ready in 4-5 weeks :).

Rode my 2013 Madone again yesterday (after having ridden a substitute bike, Focus Cayo, for a few weeks as the Madone was getting a new frame) and damn, so glad I decided to stay with the Trek Madone. It not only feels fast, but I did ride about 5% faster on a 50mile course than I did on the other not perfectly fitted/1kg heavier bike. The new Madone will be more aero and .5kg lighter ... I absolutely can't wait for that first ride.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

where does the stack and reach measure to? is the top of the head tube or the top of the painted part of the handlebar (no spacers). As the top of the headtube is lower than the top tube itself.

rwlinda

by rwlinda

nathanong87 wrote:where does the stack and reach measure to? is the top of the head tube or the top of the painted part of the handlebar (no spacers). As the top of the headtube is lower than the top tube itself.

Top of the head tube.

russianbear

by russianbear

nathanong87 wrote:where does the stack and reach measure to? is the top of the head tube or the top of the painted part of the handlebar (no spacers). As the top of the headtube is lower than the top tube itself.

Top of the head tube (below the top tube) as other poster indicated. So the painted "bearing cover", like here:

.. is not part of the measurement. I can measure the dimensions of that bearing cover next time at work.

Slack

by Slack

russianbear wrote:

Top of the head tube (below the top tube) as other poster indicated. So the painted "bearing cover", like here:

.. is not part of the measurement. I can measure the dimensions of that bearing cover next time at work.

I ordered my H1 frame on Thursday, I work in a Trek dealer and took a load of measurements from a bike we had in store to check reach/stack/headtube measurements against what Trek list on their website. The head tube and stack measurements do include the bearing cover. You can't build the bike without it so it makes sense that they include it in the head tube measurement. If you run a tape or a set of callipers up the side of the head tube inline with were the steerer tube is inside you'll see that it include the height of it in-line with the steerer. Something that makes less sense though is Trek can tell you the minimum and maximum seat height on each frame but they can't tell you where in that range you need to switch from a short seat mast to a long seat mast.

spartan

by spartan

can someone measure the length of the seatube from the bb to the top of seatmast(where the seatpost gets inserted). strange trek does not report this critical
measurement on the geometry charts.

interested in the length for a 54/56 h2 frame
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

albertop07

by albertop07

spartan wrote:can someone measure the length of the seatube from the bb to the top of seatmast(where the seatpost gets inserted). strange trek does not report this critical
measurement on the geometry charts.

interested in the length for a 54/56 h2 frame

I have a 54 H2. With the long seatpost you can go from 72.5 to 78. So I assume with the smaller seatpost you can go from 68 to 73.5.

Slack

by Slack

As you can see on the chart, the 56 cm is listed as having a 17 cm head tube and that includes the bearing cover/top cap as shown in the photo of a H2 56cm.
Attachments
IMG_3918.JPG
headtube.jpg

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

oh sick, thanks for the clarification Slack. Because for the H1 geometry i was looking at, i didn't realized how long and low it was WITH bearing cover. im not even in the market for the bike, but i probably would wanna either slam a h2.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com