2016 Madone 9

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

NealH

by NealH

Agree, it makes no sense to buy an aero race bike and not want to be in an aero position. I think this is the primary reason the new Madone has a low head tube.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GorrGrimWolf

by GorrGrimWolf

I dissagree with you. For sure, the aero position on the bike actually beats aero frame, but there is an limit for each person in terms of how much aero he can get.

Even if the buyer will not be on the be bike as aero as I would the watts saved by the aero frame still count. Sure, I would need maybe to push 300watts and the person next to me 330, but without the frame it could be 350-350.

So I dont see a reason why to avoid aero frames if your backs are not as flexible as others.

// from tiny mobile, please excuse my spelling mistakes

kgt

by kgt

The main reason to avoid an aero frame if your your backs are not that flexible is that there is no reason behind that.
You end up riding a frame that does not fulfill its purpose and looks funny if not ugly.
It's like a 100kg rider buying a 700gr frame in order to climb hills faster.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Physics don't stop working because of *reasons*

The more aero frame will be faster than a non-aero frame setup for the same position, just as a lighter bike will faster up hills regardless of how heavy the rider is.

You might say they can't see the forest for the trees, but that doesn't stop the bikes performing as they're expected to.

kgt

by kgt

BeeSeeBee wrote:The more aero frame will be faster than a non-aero frame setup for the same position, just as a lighter bike will faster up hills regardless of how heavy the rider is.

Average speed is not all about aero. It depends on many other things related to the bike, the rider, the route etc. etc. This idea that 'aero alone will make you faster' is overly simplistic.

Anyway... we all know we disagree so further arguing is just a waste of time.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A buddy of mine has two bikes, one of them is R3, the other is an S5 with deep profile wheels.

He told me this after reading of the latest aero gadgets and bikes: - this is funny, if this all was such gains they claim, i would just roll past you.

So far, we both know i never do.

Latest stuff he has been looking at is lighter wheels, lighter frames.

I would wonder when the über light ideal, aswell as comfort, comes into play for aero frames and wheels.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I saw 6 Madone 9's riding through Delray Beach today. H1 and H2, they look fantastic and the riders told me they love them and is a great bike to ride over distance.

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

Hi friends! Do you know if mount a Campagnolo Eps is possible on this new madone 9 RSL ? I ask this because I don't know if the DTI of campagnolo Eps can be mounted in the orizzontal tube.

Inviato dal mio LG-H815 utilizzando Tapatalk

REDUTOPIA

by REDUTOPIA

MRM wrote:http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=132940&start=330

First post, by myself.

Ok, thanks but now Campagnolo has released the EPS v3. So the battery would be ok for the internal mount but I don't know if the wires of levers can arrive until the control center of oblique tube where is the position of DTI.

Or is this not possible still??

rgrhon

by rgrhon

Rode it today. I have an Emond SLR so here's how I thought it did on a one hour ride: Slightly slower climbing than Emonda (weight, damping?), but quick nevertheless on a 15% incline. Excellent power transfer, and I mean excellent - as good as Emonda or better. Comfort was a little less than Emonda, but still quite good. Comfort is amazing for an aero bike! I think it will be excellent with better tires (I ride Vittoria's 23 with latex). Demo Ride was too short to notice aero, BUT my Emonda SLR has Enve 3.4s and as far as I could tell, on the flats the two bikes were identical. That means to me it will be mucho bettero with Enves or Aeolus than the RXLs that were on it. Kudos to the seat post guys, it's a great design, with most of the post attached to the frame. Noticed some buzz noise which I think was the cables rattling in the head tube. Might need some tape wrap in the build? Don't particularly like the spacers, and I think they move a little, but don't know what else they could do and be aero. Since DA (at least the cassette) is generally quieter than Ultegra I'd suggest it on this bike because the CF resonates with every shift. Better have a helmet light. Only thing I didn't like was the noise, with rattling and shift noise. But this bike isn't about subtle noise differences, it's a rocket. Overall, it rides like an older, Madone (only a bit stiffer and lighter), with the usual twitchy steering (which I don't mind). It's an amazing achievement to provide a Madone-like ride on an aero bike. I loved it!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Thanks for the input. But the noise, I can't stand any noise from a bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Kongbop

by Kongbop

It looks really wonder bikes!

1234SO

by 1234SO

rgrhon wrote:Rode it today. I have an Emond SLR so here's how I thought it did on a one hour ride: Slightly slower climbing than Emonda (weight, damping?), but quick nevertheless on a 15% incline. Excellent power transfer, and I mean excellent - as good as Emonda or better. Comfort was a little less than Emonda, but still quite good. Comfort is amazing for an aero bike! I think it will be excellent with better tires (I ride Vittoria's 23 with latex). Demo Ride was too short to notice aero, BUT my Emonda SLR has Enve 3.4s and as far as I could tell, on the flats the two bikes were identical. That means to me it will be mucho bettero with Enves or Aeolus than the RXLs that were on it. Kudos to the seat post guys, it's a great design, with most of the post attached to the frame. Noticed some buzz noise which I think was the cables rattling in the head tube. Might need some tape wrap in the build? Don't particularly like the spacers, and I think they move a little, but don't know what else they could do and be aero. Since DA (at least the cassette) is generally quieter than Ultegra I'd suggest it on this bike because the CF resonates with every shift. Better have a helmet light. Only thing I didn't like was the noise, with rattling and shift noise. But this bike isn't about subtle noise differences, it's a rocket. Overall, it rides like an older, Madone (only a bit stiffer and lighter), with the usual twitchy steering (which I don't mind). It's an amazing achievement to provide a Madone-like ride on an aero bike. I loved it!

Interesting that you find the steering of the Madone(s) twichty. Do you consider the Emonda as twichty as the Madone(s)?

Cheers!

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Stealth color scheme would make it better.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com