Boardman Air TT seatpost bolt problems

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mvogt46

by mvogt46

Hi all,

I was looking for some advice with a troublesome bolt I have on a Boardman Air TT that tightens the collar holding the seatpost in place. Carbon frame/seatpost, all parts are originals. The left bolt tightens normally and holds well, but the right bolt is a different story. I give it a few turns and feel it tighten however it gets to a point where it makes a small 'popping' noise and the tension on the bolt releases again. End result is that I can never get quite enough tightness in the right bolt to hold the seatpost where it needs to stay. I use carbon paste on the seatpost to hold it in place, but as soon as I hit some decent bumps the post slips due to not being able to get enough tightening done on the bolt.

I'm not sure what's caused it, perhaps over tightening in the past?

Help appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

Sounds like the threads are either stripped on the bolt or nut, hopefully the bolt. Visually inspect the threads and see if you can see any abnormalities. Head down to your local hardware store and get a bolt with the same thread pitch and diameter and see if it works.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

Try RH bolt in LH nut and see !

sungod

by sungod

as above, sounds like a stripped thread

is this the one where the post is clamped by a bracket behind the post with a screw each side that goes into threaded holes in the frame? i've a vague recollection someone else posted with the same issue, maybe not on ww though

if the insert in the frame has stripped you may be able to diy a fix with a helicoil/similar, but as there's little room for error you might be better off contacting boardman service to see what they say

mvogt46

by mvogt46

I swapped out the bolts last night and it seems as though the right nut is the issue (as the left nut always tightens correctly regardless of which bolt I use).

I went to Boardman's website and it asks to contact the local retailer, which in Aus is Amart sports. I've sent them an email but heard nothing back yet.