Water Bottle Bosses in Carbon frame?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Has anyone added bottle bosses to a carbon frame that doesn't have them? I have a 1st Gen Giant TCX Advanced that has no bottle mounts. because of the ISP it has been really difficult to sell. I like the bike but because it can't carry water on the frame its not very versatile. I looked into adding riv (rev?) nuts to an aluminum frame and the process would be similar but I didn't know if there were different bosses to use.

Let me know!

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hi Dan, I'm in the auto crash industry and there are many types of nutserts. I would suggest talking to a reputable bike repairer as I would expect that they will have the correct type. Hope that helps.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

drilling holes in cf frames is discussed (and strongly discouraged) here...

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/ ... ore_369031

if you are trying to resell i'd think any knowlegable buyer would run a mile if they found holes were drilled in an area not designed for it, even if you sold it if anything went wrong you could be held liable

you can get strap-on bosses or maybe add a saddle or stem mount, not ideal i know, or another possibility would be to fix bosses with epoxy, may need to make a carrier plate for then to get enough contact area for a strong enough bond

xena
Banned

by xena

I disagree . I have drilled holes in my Carbon Trek ,quite a few. Top tube both ends , down tube both ends. Taken cut out rivets that were put in previous.
If I was you I would have no qualms about making holes for cages or rivets. I'm also doing similar stuff to my new £5000 Guru frame. No issues whatsoever.

One rule I do follow is not to drill on any joins,
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Delorre

by Delorre

My LBS has added water bottle bosses on a few Cx bikes also used for winter road training. No problem at all, even with all the abuse those bikes see in the field. I would say : GO for it, but it has to be done the right way, by someons who knows what he is doing!

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

xena wrote:I disagree . I have drilled holes in my Carbon Trek ,quite a few. Top tube both ends , down tube both ends. Taken cut out rivets that were put in previous.
If I was you I would have no qualms about making holes for cages or rivets. I'm also doing similar stuff to my new £5000 Guru frame. No issues whatsoever.

One rule I do follow is not to drill on any joins,
Your post (anecdote of your own experience) is subject to what is known in statistics as survivorship bias. The guy who similarly drilled holes, and either wasn't as skilled or lucky as you, or whose bike was less able to deal with it, and who crashed as a result and was either killed or so seriously injured that he no longer rides and posts on Weight Weenies, is not here to tell his story. And lest you think I am joking, I am most definitely not.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

sungod wrote:
if you are trying to resell i'd think any knowlegable buyer would run a mile if they found holes were drilled in an area not designed for it, even if you sold it if anything went wrong you could be held liable

I think I explained this poorly. I have already tried to sell it and have had a hard time because of the ISP. (meaning I could sell it for 1/10th the cost of the bike and 1/10th the replacement cost of a CX bike with bosses). I am considering putting bosses on it to make it more versatile for other types of training and racing.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dmp

by dmp

Are you in Tuscon? You should ask the people at Fairwheel Bikes.