Engage Gavial problems!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

Today I almost went off the road in a descent because by front brake cable pulling out of the nut clamp. I have tried Tightening the bolt on the nut, replacing the brake cable, and swapping the rear nut to the front, but the Cable pulls out every time I squeeze the brake lever.
the back brake cables doesn't pull out no matter what nut i use. I am really puzzled about what to do here.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric01

by eric01

Swap the rear nut with the front and see if front has same problem? Obviously test it in the workstand and not out on the road. This should narrow down the problem to the nut or the caliper attachment

On a side note I had been eyeing a set of these on close out from a retailer. Guess I'm going to be sticking with my dura ace brakes!
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I have swapped them out. It doesn't matter which of the nuts I have in, the cable still pulls out when I apply the brake lever. I fitted a cable pinch bolt under the nut and that seems to have fixed the problem for now.

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

did you contact AX Lightness already?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

Marin

by Marin

Coated cables?

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, you can contact AX Lightness. But in the meantime what I would do is NOT ride with those brakes. Either don't ride that bike or swap out the brake for a brake you can trust.

xena
Banned

by xena

You could go powercordz , no need to clamp.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

I contacted AX lightness, but they have not replied. Does anyone know what happened to Engage? I can't keep to find a website for them anymore.

adrianlmp1246

by adrianlmp1246

xena wrote:You could go powercordz , no need to clamp.

I have seen a lot of people using powercordz on their Ax brakes and I am interested in purchasing some.
Does anyone know how to get your hands on some?

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

In the clamping mechanism is a split barrel, it' sounds like you may have the barrel in backwards. Usually the mechanism clamps fairly well.

Having said that, I'd still get rid of the brakes, as I personally will not have another piece of Ax anything on any of my bikes after what we've seen with different items they make. I also wouldn't expect a reply from them anytime soon if at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

adrianlmp1246 wrote:Does anyone know what happened to Engage? I can't keep to find a website for them anymore.
On Nov 6, 2014, https://www.facebook.com/axlightness/posts/10152327037011148 wrote:Press: engage is disengaged
Pressemitteilung: engage wird brach gelegt

The ax-lightness GmbH is sad to announce that its subcompany engage(-Bikes) is being phased out. Logistical reasons play a significant role here as well as in the first place a re-focusing on our core business and core competence: Producing state-of-the-art carbon bicycle products; qualitative reasons however can a priori be negated for the decision-making in discontinuing the engage brand.

The latest product releases of our main business, the ax-lightness GmbH, such as for instance our ax VIAL evo frame(s), the Selection seatposts as well as the Endurance Plus saddle, demonstrate that the price premium for „handlaminated in Germany“ becomes more and more fluid in comparison to high-quality Asian-made products, as was to be found with engage. Leading companies prove with their orders and investments in our OEM sector that Germany as a location for industry has a definite future in the upper grade segment. In order to continue both of our businesses – ax-lightness (products handlaminated in Germany) and engage (design by ax-lightness, production in Asia) – in a legitimate way, we simply lack the capacities and manpower, which has lead us to the decision to invariably concentrate all our competencies and energies on our own ax-lightness products, built in our manufacture in Creußen/Bavaria to that way further strengthen and push our core business.

As a consequence our label engage falls victim of this step. A decision that has by no means been easy as the products and components have rapidly, successfully and in a sustainable manner established themselves on the market and managed to flow in the concert of big names. In order to offer adequate lead times and thus to continuously place the brand successfully on the market, there is the need for us to master the enormous, steadily growing logistical demands, support expenses and input – time and energy that we consider to be absolutely essential and indispensable for our core business at ax-lightness, to line up even more professionally which brings the biggest benefit for our customers in the end.

We are now offering the current remainder of stock of engage products at discounted conditions, in order to literally „make room for something new“. That way we offer a 20% discount on our complete engage range. We strictly follow the „first come first served“ principle with these – only while stock lasts!