Noisy drivetrain Campagnolo Record

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

So, I've finally been riding my Campag Record drivetrain and its seems very noisy in the rear mech. Especially when compare to my silky smooth Ultegra on my Madone. My mechanic said I had to hold the shift lever when moving in to the bigger gears is the true? When I do this is starts out quite then progressively gets louder... When shifting down its lighting fast and when I'm in the smaller gears it less noisy but it's still somewhat there. Do you think it need an adjustment or just breaking in?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

There is no break in. It should be quiet in all gears. You need to push the thumb or finger lever to make a change. The downshift to a bigger sprocket is very similar to that of a Shimano shifter. Not sure why you are having a problem. Maybe just a badly adjusted system?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Thanks for the info... I thought it was not right. So, I'll take it in tomorrow and get it checked out.

tommasini

by tommasini

sounds like the adjustment is slightly off.......perhaps the mechanic who built it up compromised the cable tension setting because the cables are not freely moving.......correct any cable friction issues and problem S/B solved.

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

Have you checked the alignment of the rear hanger? I had this with an Athena rear gear and getting the hanger aligned properly sorted it out.

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

I watched him install the cables and they seem to move freely and he told me the rear hanger was aligned. When I shift into the big gears do I have to hold until until its there or can I click and forget it?

I'm going to throw it on my stand and see of the noise while I'm off the bike.

These guys custom build Parlee and Independent I'd hate to second guess them...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

The finger shifter is just a quick click and the shift should occur. This "you need to hold it" advice is not correct. Perhaps you are just not pushing it enough to shift?

Since you are familiar with Shimano shifting, what exactly is the difference you are encountering with the Record shifter?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Hawkwood

by Hawkwood

The shifting using the button reallly is rapid fire, no need to hold it down at all.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Whilst I can't imagine why it might have been done, the mecahnic may have removed the lower jockey wheel and replaced it back-to-front - they are directional. That would give the noise that you comment on.

Adjustment sounds as if it is off - and I wonder if cable settlement has caused you now to have to take two "clicks" to go from top gear (the 12 on a 12-25, say) to the 13? If that's the case, the indexing will be off right the way across the range.

I'd check the *everyting*. Even if the mechanic says it's right ... no disrepect intended to my many colleagues around the world but we all make mistakes & it sounds as if your guy isn't very familiar with Campag if he's telling you to hold the lever over until you get a shift - the number of bikes that we see on events that have just come back from being serviced, even by very reputable shops, with glaring mistakes are legion.

Especially check the rear wheel is bottomed out in the dropouts, then check the hanger (tight to dropout? Aligned?), check the cables (Campag? Metal ferrules?), cable runs and the confition of any under-bracket guides / tunnel - run the 1 kg test, make sure that inline cable adjusters if fitted are on a bit of the outer that is as straight as possible and are of a type where the adjustment doesn't drift when you turn the 'bars.

Then you can start on limit screws, cable attachment and tesnion adjustment.

As ever, get the fundaments right, then attend to the details and the rest will take care of itself ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

Whilst I can't imagine why it might have been done, the mechanic may have removed the lower jockey wheel and replaced it back-to-front - they are directional. That would give the noise that you comment on.

Adjustment sounds as if it is off - and I wonder if cable settlement has caused you now to have to take two "clicks" to go from top gear (the 12 on a 12-25, say) to the 13? If that's the case, the indexing will be off right the way across the range.

I'd check the *everyting*. Even if the mechanic says it's right ... no disrepect intended to my many colleagues around the world but we all make mistakes & it sounds as if your guy isn't very familiar with Campag if he's telling you to hold the lever over until you get a shift - the number of bikes that we see on events that have just come back from being serviced, even by very reputable shops, with glaring mistakes, is legion. Most of the time it's just pressure to work too fast, or not RTFM ...

Especially check the rear wheel is bottomed out in the dropouts, then check the hanger (tight to dropout? Aligned?), check the cables (Campag? Metal ferrules?), cable runs and the confition of any under-bracket guides / tunnel - run the 1 kg test, make sure that inline cable adjusters if fitted are on a bit of the outer that is as straight as possible and are of a type where the adjustment doesn't drift when you turn the 'bars.

Then you can start on limit screws, cable attachment and tension adjustment.

As ever, get the fundaments right, then attend to the details and the rest will take care of itself ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

Thanks graeme_f_k, I check the indexing and adjusted using the barrel adjuster and the sound went away. I rode to the shop since the brakes were squeaking loudly and had the mechanic go over the bike. He adjusted the limit screws and readjust the index and everything was quiet and smooth. About 15 miles in and I started hear a clicking sounds under power so I'm going to look at the barrel adjuster again. I think part of the problem are the cables settling in.

Thanks

hornedfrog

by hornedfrog

How new is your chain?

BlackMadone

by BlackMadone

hornedfrog wrote:How new is your chain?

It's brand new.

Irish

by Irish

The problem with your campagnolo groupset is you need a better mechanic. :lol:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

graeme_f_k wrote:the number of bikes that we see on events that have just come back from being serviced, even by very reputable shops, with glaring mistakes are legion.
Does this include any Campagnolo Pro-Shops?

I have had work performed on Campagnolo equipment by shops which were listed at the time on http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Shops/proshop , and while I wouldn't say the work was terrible, it was very far from top notch. Meanwhile, a couple of Campagnolo dealers which are not listed in http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Shops/proshop have done top notch work, on Campagnolo equipment and whatever else they worked on.

http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Shops/proshop wrote:The selected retailers, immediately recognisable by the special window sticker with an annual stamp showing current validity
Just to give you an idea how credible the Campagnolo Pro-Shop and annual certification business is, go to http://www.campagnolo.com/AU/en/Shops/proshop and enter 95050 in the "Find The Store Nearest To You" box. The first entry is Shaw's Lightweight Cycles, which is (or should I say, was) absolutely top notch. The only problem is that the owner/salesperson/mechanic retired due to poor health and closed the store more than 4 years ago http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_17709017
Last edited by HammerTime2 on Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com