NEW AERO v LIGHT WEIGHT Bike or combine the 2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmulligan

by dmulligan

Go for the bike that makes you feel happiest. When I was test riding bikes last summer I kept coming back to the Cervelo R3 because when I rode it, it brought a smile to my face. All of the other bikes were nice and had this or that going for them but the R3 had something more for me. I think it was stiffness around the BB and compliance at the saddle. It felt fast and cornered great.

That said, the newest R3/R5 is once of the most aero of the light frames.

53x12

by 53x12

The current R3 weighs what, ~950g? The S3 weighs 1070-1080g. So it isn't like there is a massive weight savings.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

istigatrice wrote:I don't mean to be a "troll" but I'm going to suggest that aero and light might not be all you want. I think too many people get caught up with the numbers of weight and aerodynamics, where some things that can't be measured are much more important. For instance, how does the bike handle, and does it suit what you want to use it for? Is it comfortable?

You can make this claim about any 'which bike' thread. Regardless of what they are looking for.

OP, make sure you check it also has two wheels and a handlebar. Seems we need to reiterate the obvious.

ichobi

by ichobi

Cyclingweekly made a good attempt though they need to use the same wheels and exact same components for this test. I think velodrome testing is very good real world test. Given same watts, riding position, equipments (bar the frame) and a bit of luck for a still day, you get pretty good dataset. Velodrome can negate outside influence like passing cars or changing wind direction. You don't really need undulating terrain because if you control all factors available, you will see which frame save more watts, and by how much. This advantage is inherent in the frame so you always get the benefit whether one can feel it.

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

Agree. They were a consistent wheelset away from some handy data.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

MarkTwain wrote:Agree. They were a consistent wheelset away from some handy data.

Agreed! I also don't think Bradley Wiggins could break 50kph on the hour record with those R-SYS wheels :D

CBRE

by CBRE

I kinda went the aero/light/comfy combo

2016 EVO high mod
SRAM e tap(will be here next week)
Zipp 404 nsw
Bontrager aero carbon bar
Tririg front brake
Speed play zero ti

14.0 with cages, gps mount, pedals

Wheels are a little heavy but damn fast for daily use
Curt Brown