NEW AERO v LIGHT WEIGHT Bike or combine the 2?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

Can you actually demo any of them? That's what I would do. There is no better way to determine what is best for you without riding them. You think you want aero for the watts saving but would you be happier with a light weight bike? The reverse is also true or a combo of both.

Don't make the mistake of your quantitative approach without considering the qualitative side or maybe more importantly which one turns you on.

I've ridden some aero bikes that don't handle well and some light bikes that are squishy.

Since the frame is a small part of the total package(considering wheels, helmet, bars, positioning and clothing) in watts savings then I'd focus on getting the ride quality you like and add the aero after. If its the aero frame then that's a bonus. The good news is that some new aero frames are getting lighter and more compliant and some light bikes are getting more aero. Still can't decide? Get the F8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Grill wrote:The Bond is the only frame over a kilo on that list. If you're going to go that heavy may as well either A) got something special like a custom steel build or B) go properly aero.

Even a hi-end steel frame will be 500 grams heavier and at the same time much less stiff and responsive than a good 1100gr carbon frame.

Grill wrote:If the OP doesn't race then aero isn't a big deal. What is important is how the bike makes him feel. Based on this he should be the one with the prettiest paint job.

Aero frames and nice paintjobs are cool but the reality is that neither does actually matter when racing.

@ mimason
Nice post!
Last edited by kgt on Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jengaback

by Jengaback

I would go for the Dogma F8 or the Cento Uno. They're both reasonably light but have tubes optimised to reduce drag. Best of both worlds really and both are famed for exceptional ride quality.

prebsy

by prebsy

Normally I would say aero or at least semi-aero but 1500m in 60km (25m/km) is a wicked amount of climbing. As a damn yankee I view climbing in ft/mile so please bear with me. My climbing scale is as follows:
50ft/mile (9.5m/km)-Rolling
75ft/mile (14.2m/km)-Hilly
100ft/mile (18.9m/km)-UGH
150ft/mile (28.4m/km)-WTF

With most of your rides falling squarely between UGH and WTF you have to go with the light,stiff and hopefully comfortable climbing platform. You can always add wheels to the arsenal later. In conclusion.... Scott addict!!!

drchull

by drchull

Whichever has the best geometry for you.

Assuming that is equal which it isn't my rank list would go:

Non racer: Comfort, weight, stiffness, aero.
Racer: Stiffness, comfort, aero, weight.

Realistically comfort probably affects aero more than any other factor. I could also change the rank list for racer depending on the style of racer.

ANV

by ANV

with your climbing to distant ratio you are basically doing hill repeats.. I would get a light comfortable climbing bike with bars with big reach and big drops so you can get into the most aero position for when your descending. / your rest day.
Are you going to ride tubulars or clinchers?

BmanX

by BmanX

I am sorry but for me there is no option but to combine to two. You can have the best of both worlds.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

ardennes777

by ardennes777

Narrowed it down. Have decided to go the "lighter" over the "fully-aero" options. I think the nature of the climbs I do and frequency would warrant a lighter over an aero bike. I have narrowed it finally to the following:

1. C/dale Supersix Hi Mod
2. Ridley Helium SL
3. Scott Addict SL

Do any of you know about any "warranty" problems that affect these frames?
Apparently Cannondales suffer alot of BB problems???

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

You have seen this thread, right?

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123175

If not, give it a read. And ignore the obvious trolls. As BmanX said, you can have aero and light (hint: he's built them, so is evidence that it can be done).

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I don't mean to be a "troll" but I'm going to suggest that aero and light might not be all you want. I think too many people get caught up with the numbers of weight and aerodynamics, where some things that can't be measured are much more important. For instance, how does the bike handle, and does it suit what you want to use it for? Is it comfortable?

Now I'm sure guys like BmanX have thought about all of these issues lots, and their bikes obviously suit their intended use. But it seems to me like your intentions are different to BmanX, and hence you may be better served by a different style of bike.

I'm not saying you won't be faster on an aero, light, and stiff bike, but I'm just saying if it's no fun to ride you're not going to ride it. Obviously guys like BmanX enjoy riding their super bikes - but if you're not looking for all out speed you might have more fun on a different machine. And if you're not riding you're not going to be fast no matter what machine you're on. Try a few, ask owners what they think of them, and what style of riding they do. I can't remember which user this was, but I recall someone on the fairwheelbike forums having a very similar build to BmanX and switching to a Colnago. Now I don't know the full details about why he switched etc. but just some food for thought.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

BmanX

by BmanX

I agree with your points. As mentioned, you can have both and do it fairly light and aero. One point to mention is that I also have a very light steel build that is not aero but light. It has different dimensions as I use this for my Gran Fondo rides and rides with my GF. When I am out with the boys or doing a fast ride, I am on the Cervelo. The bike is a rocket but the Custom English Steel is a cruising dream.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Amazing real-world test results here http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... deo-176312

Can it really make that big of a difference? Too bad they didn't use the same wheels on both tests. The wheels probably made most of the difference.

Ozrider

by Ozrider

It is a good comparison, but a better comparison would be using the same wheels as Mavic R Sys have to be some of the least aero wheels.
The Velodrome is a good place for some testing, but riding the two bikes over the same undulating course would be more real world, as s velodrome has a very smooth surface and no hills, where the lighter bike would gain some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

joepac

by joepac

So what kind of rider are you? Climber, sprinter, all-arounder? What type of races are you targeting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

53x12

by 53x12

pdlpsher1 wrote:Amazing real-world test results here http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... deo-176312

Can it really make that big of a difference? Too bad they didn't use the same wheels on both tests. The wheels probably made most of the difference.

Yes. That test is easy enough to replicate and only requires a power meter and patience to get good quality data. I have both a Cervelo S3 and a Felt AR. Doing the Chung Method Test my data corresponds and verifies similarly to what Cervelo and Felt have published as well as others. Compared to my CAAD10, the S3 and AR are significantly quicker. My own personal data supports that statement.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."