Availability of GP4000S II coloured versions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Have been searching around for some Continental GP4000S II clincher tyres, 25mm with the red colouring on the sidewall. Can't find them in stock, or for back order anywhere. Anyone happen to know where they might be available or available to back order?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

I did not think 25s were ever available in anything but full black or black/reflex. 4000S II 23s had the new stripe color option of several colors. Their availability was incredibly limited and now Conti web site does not even list these color models - https://www.conti-online.com/www/bicycle_de_en/themes/race/Grand_Prix_4000_S_II.html; it definitely did list them some time ago.
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Thanks a lot martinSL, you've saved some wasted searching time! Would really have liked to get hold of these tyres in 25mm with the red trim, maybe with the rising popularity of 25mm tyres, Continental will expand the range at some point.

Marin

by Marin

Get (internally) wider rims and the 23s will be 25.

FWIW, the 25s were 27mm wide on my 23mm rims - too wide, so I moved to Conti TT tires :)

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

Thanks Marin, I was intending to use the 25mm red tires on my DuraAce C24 wheels which have 20.9mm rim width. I was going to switch across a set of all black 25mm GP4000S II onto the new Campagnolo Bora 35 clinchers I have on the way - rim width on those is 24.2mm. Are you saying using 23mm tires on the wider rims will effectively make them 24/25mm tires?

Measured the 25mm tires currently on the C24s based on your comment and they are actually 26.9mm wide. But I really like their size, so if running them on the 24.2mm Bora's would have the same effect, I'd stay with 25mm rather than go 23mm.

May all be moot as per the earlier post which indicates they're no longer selling the coloured versions in 23mm either.

GSteg

by GSteg

OhPinchy wrote:Thanks Marin, I was intending to use the 25mm red tires on my DuraAce C24 wheels which have 20.9mm rim width. I was going to switch across a set of all black 25mm GP4000S II onto the new Campagnolo Bora 35 clinchers I have on the way - rim width on those is 24.2mm. Are you saying using 23mm tires on the wider rims will effectively make them 24/25mm tires?

Measured the 25mm tires currently on the C24s based on your comment and they are actually 26.9mm wide. But I really like their size, so if running them on the 24.2mm Bora's would have the same effect, I'd stay with 25mm rather than go 23mm.

May all be moot as per the earlier post which indicates they're no longer selling the coloured versions in 23mm either.

I have GP4000S II tires in 25mm. On my Campagnolo Zonda 20.4mm wide wheels, the tires measured 26.97mm (inflated to 100psi). Fortunately, my new Bora One 50 arrived just a few hours ago so I was able to swap tires onto the new 24.2mm wide wheels. The same tire measured 26.87mm. Not much difference, but I no longer have to fight the brakes trying to take off the wheels. That itself was worth upgrading. :lol: :lol:

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

I have a hunch that, at least in Europe, Conti is claiming to have quality issues, but are trying to get their price stable in stead. If you want a good tire with a red stripe, go Schwalbe one.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com