Brake-cable endcap stuck.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hello all,

I again need some advice wrt to some technical problem. The endocap of my rear-brake cable, is stuck into this kind of screw where the cable enters the brake caliber. The brake is a dura ace 7800. Here is a picture Image.

I have tried getting it out with several tools/ideas, without success. I sprayed WD-50 in it but it also didn't help. At the bike shop they suggested drilling it out - but this sounds too risky to me...

Perhaps anyone has a better/different idea?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

androidavies

by androidavies

Clamp the adjuster up gently in a vice, there is a flat on one side of it, so doesn't have to be very tightly held. A 6mm drill bit will easily remove the end cap remains, you probably won't even have to press very hard with the drill, normally the remains of the end cap start spinning as the bit grabs it.

While you're at it, run a 2mm bit through the rest of the adjuster, this often gets furred up as well, and can give similar symptoms to a cable seizing in the housing.

I've done this many times with no ill effects on the adjuster function.

Lightweenie

by Lightweenie

Hi, thanks for the response.

I managed to remove it in a different way - just in case someone has the same issue again: I held the lower part in place with pliers and then forced a rounded-end allen key (5mm) on the top twisted this a bit and when i pulled it out it had the endcap stuck on it :D. It may or may not have helped that I submerged the thing into hot water before.