160mm road crankset?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I am looking for a true 160mm road crankset. So far I have only found them from Rotor, Lightning, and Cobb. All are REALLY expensive for a youth bike. They'll be outgrown in a year. I know an option is to buy a long set of cheap cranks, cut them down, and have them redrilled and threaded at the proper length. I'd prefer something designed and made at that length. Anyone know where I can find a decent 160mm road crankset at a reasonable price? We've been using modified BMX cranks to this point but we've been having a lot of problems with them lately... mainly the crank bolts coming loose (or out) despite using loctite. It's time for a proper road crank.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Thanks. About the same price as the Rotor and significantly heavier though. I found the Rotor 3D 24 for as little as US$304.00 and it weighs 524g. Maybe that's the bottom end of price for what I need. I just know he'll need longer cranks in 6 months. The boy is growing like a weed!

AGW

by AGW

BMX cranks + square taper BB?

delsol

by delsol

Did you look at Miche Young cranksets they go al the way down to 140 mm
Our you can go with Stronglight Impact
http://www.xxcycle.com/crankset-stronglight-impact-kid,,en.php
I think your right in the middele with 160 mm.
I still have a FSA Gossamer BB 30 165 mm laying around.
If your interrested give me a pm.
weight weenie wannabee

Devon

by Devon

Old style 5-bolt Shimano mountain bike cranks are Campagnolo ring compatible. So you can run a square taper bracket, these cranks and a pair of Campy road rings in whatever size you need.

I recently picked up a set with mtb rings attached for £5 from a parts bin in a local workshop.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

As mentioned in the original post, we've been using BMX cranks with modified spiders. As he has gotten bigger and stronger we have had a rash of mishaps. Crankbolts coming loose despite locktite, crank arms coming off mid-race, chainline issues, etc. I want to get away from square-taper and get a road-specific setup. Thanks for the links and suggestions. I'll look into them.

Devon

by Devon

How tall is the lad? I'm struggling to see 170 road cranks being too long.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

He's 11. Less than 5 feet tall. For comparison, I am 5'10" tall (178cm) and ride a 170mm crank.

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

deleted
Last edited by xnavalav8r on Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AGW

by AGW

Sorry, I totally missed that in the OP. Your boy has good form!

LouisN

by LouisN

At 4' 10 1/2'' my twin daughters went from 152-155mm (on the 24'' bikes) to 165mm on standard (XXS-XS) bikes two years ago.

It's a question of prefference I guess, but I didn't see any problems coming from the longer crank arms and put the money elsewhere.

At the speed they're growing (and guys are growing much more faster than girls), many more problems will come ahead for the WW obsessed dad ;) .

Louis :)

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

It's daughters on bikes that worry me. Gotta keep my boy focused. hahaha

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

In all seriousness though, I worry about the biomechanics of cycling with young, developing legs. The kids are turning junior gears at pretty high RPM. It's a real challenge to turn high RPM on a crank that is too long. It's very tough on the knees. Heck, I use a 165mm crank for my hillclimbs so I can comfortably turn a high cadence in a low gear. So I'm a bit of a nut about matching crank length to leg length. I'll never criticize anybody for doing what works for them or their kids. But I'm a strong advocate for junior gearing, proportional crank length, and a proper fitting kids' bike.

Devon

by Devon

Your 11 year old has a better bike than me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com