Sidi or Spiuk?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PLuKE

by PLuKE

Looking at buying some better shoes, my current ones are a pair of Scott which was cheap.

I have been looking at Sidi Kaos and the Spiuk ZS16RC

Both are in fluro green, but looking at people's thoughts on them.

It would seem the Spiuk are a lighter shoe, but don't seem to have replacement parts, which wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Looking at people's views in terms of comfort, style and durability.

Thanks
Luke

guyc

by guyc

Stock answer for every single shoe question:

Whichever ones fit the best.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Harmitc

by Harmitc

Sidi's are great, they last and you can get spares. But most importantly, buy the one that fits!

kgt

by kgt

Sidi's quality is far better than Spiuk's. Sidi look also better IMO.

stormur

by stormur

from the other hand Sidi fits narrow feets and low ankles only - I found Spiuk way better for folks with "larger" feet. Beating Spiuk's in road and mtb for 3 years now I can't compain quality : still look very good, and are really comfortable even for 6h rides ( didn't test more ) - double soles ( warm, cold ) , 2 sizes of straps , heat molding… what to demand more ? Spares : no problem, crashed left buckle / felt on icy road / in mtb shoe , ordered from XXcycle- week later had it home for less than 10€… try this with Sidi ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

uraqt

by uraqt

So....

I am a big side fan... and I have wide feet.. not super wide just wider than normal... I am not sure 100% that "Sidi fits narrow" is really true...( that said I understand that is what everyone says) : )

I think that most people who have tried on sidi or tested them may not have given them a fare shake... I will admit that my 1st 300/400 miles were not perfect and that they fit better when it warm... but I think fitting shoes is more complicated than most people think...

for example

Flat 40/50 miles easy to set up... however 90 miles with 6,000 ft of climbing, with eating and drinking.. my feel change sizes how do you manage that?

With over 6,000 miles, and a little fine tuning I can't imagine a using a different brand... I think sidi is like campy they break in not break down.

C

I said this in another thread a joke, if you feet don't fit in sidi there is something wrong with your feet but the more think about it the more I think it might be true...

That said I really don't know how to tried on or tested shoes, it's alot like bike fitting and saddle fitting what works in the shop really may not work on the road. The road is alway changing and your body is always changing. My solutions was to throw money at it until I found a saddle and shoes I liked. Back then there was no eBay or saddle demo options but now you can resell them, yes you take a lose but great fitting shoes are worth the extra effort ... I am 100% sure you will not fide a shoe more durable than sidi.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

stormur wrote: try this with Sidi ;)

I usually get sidi spares in 2 or 3 days. As many places carry them. Or alternatively, I can dismantle one of my older pairs, and use those parts temporally.

stormur

by stormur

taking your standard I can get Spiuk spares within 1 minute - rest is delivery from France to Finland ;) also ( however extremely irrelevant ! ) can use buckles from my other Spiuk's… same part number :) waht I meant is spares prices ;)
Mark Twain

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

Sidi spares are (for the most part) fairly cheap anyway. I've never ordered and thought "ouch, that's a bit expensive".

bura

by bura

I sometimes think that cyclists do critisize established brands not enough hard as they do with smaller manufacturers or no name products.I have 2 pair of Sidi's .OK with the fit and nothing wrong with the black pair but why on earth Sidi can not improve their white shoe uppers? With time they go yellow and if you have some expensive white socks these yellow color reflects on them as well. You just need one ride to have yellow striped socks instead of white . My next pair of white shoes will be not Sidi and I will pay less for them. So for the white Sidi's: Paid and failed!
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

stormur

by stormur

good point. many "follow mainstream"… i don't say Sidi is "bad" - it's not, it's not "best of all" as well . there's many other , smaller companies ( not only about shoes/apparel ) which do really amazing stuff, it happens for fraction of the money( but can be more pricey too ) need for "peloton advertised" brands.

Spiuk shoes suit to my "non standard" feet ( many other brands do not, incl Sidi ) , work well, it's comfortable, looks good on it's 3rd season… what more I should expect/ demand ?
Mark Twain

uraqt

by uraqt

I have a pair of sidi that that is close 16 years old and I am not the only one... back then there was really no other choice.

I have seen the issues with the heel pad, buckle pin and worn out straps however I think of checking that stuff is just shoe maintenance. Just like bike maintenance.

I think that it's one of sidi strong points, you can get replacement parts for shoes that are 16 years old.... may not be the exact same part but it's close enough that you an make it work. And you can get the parts in almost every country in the world.

C

Now my issue is they are so good that there is no point to change... Yes I want the new wire push or the giro empire slx but my 1999 energy's work great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com