How do you remove ZG brake pads?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

flying

by flying

Just cyrious I just got some 06 models & want to change the pads to the regular from the corima pads. There is no set screw & trying as hard as I dare the pads dont budge.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

TSMonk

by TSMonk

Did they change it from the '05? If they are the same then they slide out, but you got to push pretty hard. It took me a while to get the first one, but then the others were not that tough. Be careful not to break the corima pad when you slide it out aka push strai, not downward.

If they are differnt, sorry for wasteing your time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Herbert

by Herbert

My pads just pushed out, and yes it takes a bit of push.

Herbert

Litespeed
www.litespeed.com

mzagorski

by mzagorski

Might need to use pliers to get the old ones to start moving... Mine were quite tight. If not you're probably going to end up with sore fingers :roll:

flying

by flying

Thanks guys I got it.
Your all right though they were tight :shock:
TSMonk your right too as I did chip one corima pad.
I took the holders off the calipers & was using the edge of a table to push the pad upwards & holder downwards.
The first one was so tight I couldn't believe it ;)

I called William at Wise & he told me about the table. Although I think most leave the holders in & maybe that was why it was harder for me. I was afraid to slip & nick the calipers or worse.

Thanks all installed now.

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

I took mine out once by accident. I was standing over the bike waiting for a buddy and had my back brake on. I pushed the bike back with my butt and out popped the cork pads on the back. That might be the easiest way.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

Rich_W

by Rich_W

yourdaguy wrote:I took mine out once by accident. I was standing over the bike waiting for a buddy and had my back brake on. I pushed the bike back with my butt and out popped the cork pads on the back. That might be the easiest way.

That will happen if you take the corima's in and out a few time... they loosen up. I did the same thing once. I found a small dab of tubular cement on each side of the pad notch holds them in perfectly.

mises

by mises

If you don't care about saving the corimas, and I don't know why you would care, just take a screwdriver and push them out from those nice large holes in the back of the holders. Very quick, and if you hate the corimas as much as I do very satisfying.

flying

by flying

Juanmoretime wrote:While change pads are a necessity, since it's such a pain in the butt, is the reason why I bought an extra set of pad holders from wisecyclebuys for my carbon rim pads. So when I switch from carbon to aluminum wheels I just change pad holders with the appropriate pad.

If I do go carbon I would do that too. Because this is too much work ;)

butted spoke

by butted spoke

A bit late now, but I had the same problem with mine, ref this thread.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... highlight=

I also chipped one of the Corima pads before I realised it was easier to hold the pad in the vice.

BTW Can someone tell me how to make that long url string appear as a shorter phrase such as "here" or "this thread"

pk0r

by pk0r

butted spoke wrote:BTW Can someone tell me how to make that long url string appear as a shorter phrase such as "here" or "this thread"

[url=PlaceTheURLhere]YourText[/url]
| works for an European bike manufacturer |
| "I respect the work in coloring parts but the result is stupid-monkey in silk clothes is still monkey." |

butted spoke

by butted spoke

What, like this? Thanks - bs

mzagorski

by mzagorski

The whole pad-changing thing is the reason I just sold my ZG brakes and went back to Dura-ace. More practical for me going from training on alloy rims to racing on carbon and switching pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

turbo pepper

by turbo pepper

13 replies on how to change brake pads. This is the place for help !

It's not the pad changing I'm worried about, it's the rider changing. I swapped the Corima pads for the black Gir's that 0G supplied before fitting the brakes to my new bike...

...then I went for a ride at the weekend. I braked on a descent, I was almost locking up the wheels and came close to throwing myself of the bike. The brakes (maybe rim surfaces too) felt stronger than my old Campa Record. They feel nice. Only the shape seems to get lots of dust on it, air doesn't flow around it. Still, they're great.