New Giro Aeon in the pipeline?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

brianthemagical

by brianthemagical

I'm in the market for a new helmet, but I'm very indecisive. I also can't afford to have more than 1 or 2 if I don't need them.

Ideally, I'd like a lightweight, cool traditional helmet for general riding, hill climbs and visits to warmer climates (in in the UK) and an aero/warmer helmet for road racing and cooler days. The compromise would be a semi-aero helmet, like the Synthe or Protone.

I'm currently set on a Synthe, without having looked at aero helmets. I would like an Aeon, but I can't live with the Roc Loc 5 retention mech compared to the Synthe's Roc Loc Air.

So, the question is, any insider news on if a new Giro Aeon is in the pipeline, using the Roc Loc air? Or any alternatives that are super lightweight? Or should I just go with a Synthe, accepting that an separate aero helmet is not worth the extra investment?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

brianthemagical wrote:Or should I just go with a Synthe, accepting that an separate aero helmet is not worth the extra investment?

Yes.

At risk of underestimating your ability, most of us do not ride at a high enough level to appreciate the full benefits of a purely aero helmet, whatever that means. Plus, the Synthe is supposedly very aero in its own right.

Wear a cap on cold days.

IchDien

by IchDien

Surely the USP of the Synthe / Air attack is the new system...so why put it in the Aeon?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

Get the synthe for the summer and pick up an attack for the winter. The attack is discounted many places and they share the same retention system.

uraqt

by uraqt

I am in the same boat.. .it's time for the Aeon to be updated, but I haven't see or read anything...

C

are

by are

The aeon had been available super cheap recently (at least relative to MSRP), so I think it's reasonable to expect something new from Giro in the very near future.

brianthemagical

by brianthemagical

Thanks for the replies so far.

My ability is so so. I do race, and therefore would like any advantage I can get, but I appreciate my ability and consistency will vary more than any aero gains from a helmet. Although that doesn't stop me thinking what if?

I'd assume the Aeon would eventually get updated/superseded by another non-aero, super lightweight 'normal' helmet, much like a number Specialized riders still use the Prevail.

I think my main draw to the Aeon over the Synthe is the extra weight saving for hill climbs. As above, I know it won't make me a champion, but I like every advantage I can get!

It's sounding like I should just be happy with the Synthe as my only helmet, and the extra cash.

Thanks for the help.

eric01

by eric01

According to the giro website, the new-ish Atmos 2 is 190g, same as the aeon. It's significantly cheaper than the aeon too if budget is a concern.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

headwind816

by headwind816

My Atmos-2 came in at 262 grams for a medium ... U.S. version

eric01

by eric01

I think giro is quoting euro standard weights which are typically a little lighter than US versions. That said, giro claimed weights can be optimistic. My Ionos is over claimed weight.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

1415chris

by 1415chris

I put few helmets on the scale recently:
Atmos 2 M 262g
Synthe black-read L 255g
Synthe white-read-blue L 263g
Aeon L 225g

What was surprasing that Synthe in different colours had a different fit, one was more snuggy and comfy than the other one.

uraqt

by uraqt

When I got my Atmos I could tell right away it weighed more than my Pneumo so much so I put them both on the scale and was very pissed at giro for releasing a new/better helmet that weight 40g more...

I am still thinking about getting last year Pneumo : )

C

I think it might be better at cooling at slow speeds and as that I am very slow that makes some sense : )

brianthemagical

by brianthemagical

Thanks for all the help. It looks like the Synthe is the way to go. I'm sure I can convince myself that the extra weight of the Synthe will be countered by the increased aero as I'm sprinting to the line in a HC.

Thanks again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com