What gearing should I get .

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treetrees

by treetrees

Hi everyone , just acquired a caad10 liquigas replica to compliment my caad8 , it came with shimano 105 gears 10 speed my caad 8 has ultegra 6700 it seems to me that shimano gears are a bit finicky as every time I go out I have to check the gears as they seem to need a slight adjustment is this normal this is on both bikes . Is the new 6800 any better I mean spot on . I have checked both bikes dérailleur hangers and they were spot but checked again and they have moved a tiny bit ,all bolts are tight and cables are good , getting a bit fed up with shimano and am thinking of trying a different brand. So what should I go for

mimason

by mimason

6800 is great but you should get good shifts from 105 as well as 6700. There really is nothing wrong with any of those groups and they are not inherently finicky. I'm guessing you have a cable tension issue.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treetrees

by treetrees

Well I thougt that but on both bikes actually three bike as my son allez is the same

treetrees

by treetrees

The actual shifting is pretty good

Rick

by Rick

Hard to diagnose on the internet, but basically, if your Shimano drivetrain is "finicky" and nothing in the setup has been changing, then it must be set up wrong.
Shimano shifting should be the most rock-solid of all, unless cables are wearing out or some such maintenance issue.

Cable routing ? Tension ? Cables slipping at attachment clamp ?

Derailleur hangers shouldn't be "moving a little bit" so that is something to check. Are you bumping the derailleur when parking/storing ? Is the hanger securely attached ?

Are you doing it yourself ? Take to someone who knows how to do it.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I had 6700 and switched to 6800. I found shifting worse on the 6700. I seemed to have to play with the trim more. It was just another reason amongst a pile of others forcing me to upgrade.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

treetrees

by treetrees

Taken it to a shop they could not find anything wrong . Cables are relatively new . Bike is not getting knocked . Maybe I'm too ocd with it

bungis

by bungis

fromtrektocolnago wrote:I had 6700 and switched to 6800. I found shifting worse on the 6700. I seemed to have to play with the trim more. It was just another reason amongst a pile of others forcing me to upgrade.

I really disliked my 6700 and from what I hear 6800 is a huge improvement, mainly in front shifting.

Couldn't pay me to ride on 6700 again. Very finicky rear derailleur and front shifting was a lot of throw and effort.

Rick

by Rick

treetrees wrote:Maybe I'm too ocd with it

How are you judging that they "need slight adjustments" ?
They won't shift at all....or are very noisy ....or just a little noisy ?

How about proper chain length ?

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

bungis wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:I had 6700 and switched to 6800. I found shifting worse on the 6700. I seemed to have to play with the trim more. It was just another reason amongst a pile of others forcing me to upgrade.

I really disliked my 6700 and from what I hear 6800 is a huge improvement, mainly in front shifting.

Couldn't pay me to ride on 6700 again. Very finicky rear derailleur and front shifting was a lot of throw and effort.

6800 is great, a huge improvement over 6700, with one exception.
The cable to the rear derailleur needs to be changed every 2,000 miles. I'm on my 3rd cable in 15 months.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com