ZIPP 303 + Tubeless???

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bearing

by Bearing

Does anyone have good experience with tubeless set up for ZIPP 303?
I will use my Schwalbe One (tubeless) tires...

* Rim tape type
* Valve extender used
* sealant type/brand
* any other hints?

As a follow-on to this post: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=102339

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yes, I've posted about it a bunch of times. You need two passes of Stan's 25mm (mountain bike) tape. The best valves I've found so far are the Orange Seal valves. They come with two grommets that prevent sealant from leaking over the valve, and preventing its removal on the roadside.

Sealant: Orange Seal (haven't used it, but rated very highly) or Bontrager. You can also get away with using a 2:1 or 3:1 mix of Stans/Slime.

You may need a compressor, but a good pump should do the job. You may also want to invest in a Bontrager FlashCharger.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kulivontot

by kulivontot

So are stan's rubber strips or gorilla duct tape ever needed for converting non-tubeless rims? My understanding is that tubeless specific rims have shorter rim sidewalls to push the tire beads further upwards towards the rim bead hooks to better lock the tire in place. I've heard of people using this "ghetto tubeless" method to build up the rim bed and ensure there's a tight fit.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

You need tape to seal off the spoke holes, not to make a tighter seal. I've never tried to create a ridge to seal the tires, but I've never had a problem with the tires sealing.