SRAM XG-1190 cassette Shifting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

3rd time's a charm. Picked up a 3rd 11-32 XG1190 SRAM cassette, and shifting finally works. Not sure if it matters but seems the build date for the working cassette was week 15 of 2015 vs the previous two which was (if I recall) week 40-something 2014. Anyways, I can finally enjoy my ride :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Reported the defect to sram?
Using Tapatalk

jerbax18

by jerbax18

?if you put all three cassettes on a flat table, are they the same height?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

This is very interesting. On one hand it's nice to know that the problem was down to a manufacturing flaw. On the other hand the bad news is that Sram has some control issues in their production. It's not that uncommon for machinery to drift out of calibration over time. Sram needs to revisit their control methods and catch the drift before products go out of spec.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The drift had to be pretty serious for shifting not to work. I don't think the machining for a cassette has to be very precise even for a 11-speed version. I assume the cassettes looked identical to the OP. I'm wondering exactly what was off for the bad cassette. Weird.

garyhgaryh

by garyhgaryh

taylorpetie wrote:3rd time's a charm. Picked up a 3rd 11-32 XG1190 SRAM cassette, and shifting finally works. Not sure if it matters but seems the build date for the working cassette was week 15 of 2015 vs the previous two which was (if I recall) week 40-something 2014. Anyways, I can finally enjoy my ride :)

Where is the build date located on the cassette? I bought mine from ebay but the cassette came with no box.

Thanks,
Gary

drdsj

by drdsj

I am glad I'm not the only one. I have this exact problem with my 1190 cassette which is a week 4.2015 model. It was driving me crazy trying to figure it out and given up on it tossing the cassette in the junk pile a while ago. Been using a Shimano cassette instead as it works fine. Based on this, I'll try contacting SRAM and see if they can help.

nohands

by nohands

This is probably unrelated but I'm posting here since it's related to the xg-1190 cassette.

Has anyone found that the 11 tooth cog does not fit the freehub body? I was trying to install the cassette last night but it looks like the cutout for the narrow spline(that mates to the narrow spline on the hubshell) on the 11 tooth cog is too narrow. I've measured the width and there's a difference between the cutout on the main cassette and the 11 cog. See pic below.

The cutout at 1 o'clock is the problematic one.

perwjensen

by perwjensen

garyhgaryh wrote:
taylorpetie wrote:3rd time's a charm. Picked up a 3rd 11-32 XG1190 SRAM cassette, and shifting finally works. Not sure if it matters but seems the build date for the working cassette was week 15 of 2015 vs the previous two which was (if I recall) week 40-something 2014. Anyways, I can finally enjoy my ride :)

Where is the build date located on the cassette? I bought mine from ebay but the cassette came with no box.

Thanks,
Gary

I just bought one from Craigslist and would like to know this too.

nohands

by nohands

I can see the first two digits on the back of the cassette corresponds to the week they were built. I don't know how to deduce the year from the rest of the numbers.

Lukas05

by Lukas05

Hello Guys. Same problem here. Im "glad" im not alone.
At first i think its problem with my wheel. I bought new freehub, axle, mount new cables, clean brake hood lever, new chain. Nothing helps.
My sram cassete has got 25000km. My friend gave me ultegra 9000km cassette and everything is how it may be.
Solution? I dont know. I dont want to buy new Sram Red cassette and it will be still bad, like the guy did in previous post.
Ive rote to Sram but no reply at this time.
Anything new?

Chris3g

by Chris3g

i seem to have the same issue with mine, brand new 2017 wk 17. 11-28. Shifting is grindy, the smallest cogs are noisy and the chain catches and occasionally even jumps a gear when backpedaling. No amount of adjustment can get it perfect. I swapped over to an ultegra 6800 11-28 and straight away everything works perfectly.

The really annoying part is everything in the drivetrain is SRAM and new - etap, red crankset, and red chain. Yet the ultegra cassette works much better.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I’ve noticed that the Sram cassette cogs are slightly thicker than the Shimano cassette. So if one’s bike has very short chainstays, the angle of the chain will be greater on the cross chain combinations, thus causing more noise and chain skips when back pedaling. On a bike with longer chainstays the Sram cassettes run just as good as the Shimanos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris3g

by Chris3g

pdlpsher1 wrote:I’ve noticed that the Sram cassette cogs are slightly thicker than the Shimano cassette. So if one’s bike has very short chainstays, the angle of the chain will be greater on the cross chain combinations, thus causing more noise and chain skips when back pedaling. On a bike with longer chainstays the Sram cassettes run just as good as the Shimanos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense to me, my bike has a 40.8cm chainstay which I guess is on the shorter side. I spent about 45 minutes last night getting the derailleur hanger as absolutely straight as possible, although it was in-spec before, and managed to make the shifting a bit better. Still not as good as with the Shimano cassette but acceptable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

My chain also hops a bit when backpedaling in the smallest cog. It happened on a disc CX bike with 430m chainstays and also my Emonda SLR Disc with 410mm chainstays. It happens with the Emonda in the smallest four cogs with a Dura-Ace/XTR chain and the smallest three with a KMC X11SL.