SRAM XG-1190 cassette Shifting issues

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

The measurements are valid, all three cassettes have the same spacing, the SRAM cassettes first and last cog are slightly thicker than the standard 1.6mm cog width,
if you subtract a bit for that it brings the overall height of the SRAM and Shimano closer.
There's been enough posts on here to know that swapping SRAM-Shimano-Campagnolo 11 speed cassettes between groups is fine,
The OP is having trouble running SRAM with SRAM what else can it be but a setup issue? seems it work fine for everyone else.

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Update. I've spent most of the night and today (called in sick at work) and no luck. I've unhooked the cables, checked the rear dérailleur hanger alignment with the park tool alignment gauge, reinstalled the rear dérailleur, adjusted the b screw, high and low limits, installed new shifter cables, checked all alignments and the same problem exists (shifting from 11t to 12t to 13t will not upshift unless enough tension is applied but then causes chain rub at 19t, 22t, and 25t --- more at the latter).

Replaced the XG1190 (11-32) with Ultegra 11-32 and works fine. For reference, my road bike is an Sworks Tarmac with internal routing cables. I thought it maybe because of the internal routing cable tension somewhere but....I then installed the XG1190 on my wife's s-works Amira which has Di2 setup. Adjusted the electronic shifting/program and the same freaking problem on her bike. I give up. I was hoping that maybe it was my red 22 rear dérailleur that may be having the issue but if the xg1190 cassette is not even working on my wife's bike, then I have no clue. Unless the SRAM rep was correct that my second xg1190 cassette is bad? I reinstalled the Ultegra cassette on the bike so I can at least enjoy some riding today.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

Any chance there could be something on the freehub body that is preventing the SRAM cassette from seating properly (e.g. a spacer for a 10-speed cassette, debris, dirt, etc.)?
Using Tapatalk

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

If it shifts well with Ultegra stick with that and just ride the bike, these problems that eat into your riding time aren't worth it.

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Tenlegs wrote:If it shifts well with Ultegra stick with that and just ride the bike, these problems that eat into your riding time aren't worth it.

I agree, I'm done trying... I thought it would look nicer with 'all' SRAM Red 22 components, but not worth the hassle at this point.

VQ30DE wrote:Any chance there could be something on the freehub body that is preventing the SRAM cassette from seating properly (e.g. a spacer for a 10-speed cassette, debris, dirt, etc.)?

Yeah... I checked and cleaned the hub for any dirt and made sure there were no spacers, etc... thanks, though.

milkbaby

by milkbaby

If SRAM will warranty it for you for free, why not just do that and see? Although unlikely, it's not out of the question to have bad luck and get two bad cassettes in a row.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I had a final thought. Is it possible that as you shift toward the bigger cogs and pressure increases on the cable, that the housing starts to compress thus throwing off the accuracy of the RD movement? Perhaps the 1190 cassette is sensitive to this but the Ultegra is not. You didn't mention what type of cable/housing you were using. I assume it is new.

Sorry you have had this hassle.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

Having the same problem on a completely different bike is a pretty good indicator that something is wrong with that cassette, I'd say. Third time's the charm?
Using Tapatalk

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

VQ30DE wrote:Having the same problem on a completely different bike is a pretty good indicator that something is wrong with that cassette, I'd say. Third time's the charm?

Unless of course that the completely different bike also suffers from cable housing that is compressing more than the 1190 cassette can tolerate.

Does anyone have this problem using Yokozuna cables and housing - that would clinch it for me. I am always amazed at how superior the Yokozuna stuff is to the others. Of course it would be best if the cassette would work flawlessly regardless of setup.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Mr.Gib wrote:
VQ30DE wrote:Having the same problem on a completely different bike is a pretty good indicator that something is wrong with that cassette, I'd say. Third time's the charm?

Unless of course that the completely different bike also suffers from cable housing that is compressing more than the 1190 cassette can tolerate.

Does anyone have this problem using Yokozuna cables and housing - that would clinch it for me. I am always amazed at how superior the Yokozuna stuff is to the others. Of course it would be best if the cassette would work flawlessly regardless of setup.

I replaced with Shimano PTFE cables, and SRAM Slickwire cables (haven't tried Yoko's). My wifes bike uses electronic shifting so I guess the cables wouldn't matter there...

yes, hoping 3rd time's the charm... :)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yes, a failure on electronic shifting would rule out all but a cassette problem.

djconnel

by djconnel

My guess is the cassette was built with 10 speed spacers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eric

by eric

It does sound like the cassette's cog spacing is off, but the XG1190 is one of Sram's monoblock cassettes. Most of the cogs are a solid piece of steel. The largest is a pressed on aluminium cog, and the smallest (or two smallest on 11sp?) are individual cogs. So there's no possibility of the wrong spacers in the middle of the cassette. And it's unlikely that the machining process would be off for some cassettes.... though measuring the cog spacing would tell.

Could the rubber noise rings between the larger cogs not be lying flat?

If the noise is worse in the big ring it could be that the tooth shape is not as tolerant of cross chaining as Shimanos, at least with your chain.

VQ30DE

by VQ30DE

eric wrote:It does sound like the cassette's cog spacing is off, but the XG1190 is one of Sram's monoblock cassettes. Most of the cogs are a solid piece of steel. The largest is a pressed on aluminium cog, and the smallest (or two smallest on 11sp?) are individual cogs. So there's no possibility of the wrong spacers in the middle of the cassette. And it's unlikely that the machining process would be off for some cassettes.... though measuring the cog spacing would tell.

Good thoughts. Those elastomer rings could cause shifting problems.

"As the chain engages the cog it hits the elastomer to quiet the impact and as the chain reacts to pedaling force they slide up the specially machined teeth and off the elastomer. No energy wasted and a longer life for your Stealth Rings. They will not last as long as your cogs, however, and will need to be replaced aftermarket"

But your cassettes are new, no? Wear would not be an issue, but check the elastomers to see if they look right.

My other thought is to try the cassette on a different set of wheels--did you put it on your wife's rear wheel or just put your Enve wheel on her bike? Even though you said it's a brand new wheel, perhaps there is something off with the freehub or something.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Yes, cassettes are new and tried it on both Enve and Bora Ultra wheels.

VQ30DE wrote:
eric wrote:It does sound like the cassette's cog spacing is off, but the XG1190 is one of Sram's monoblock cassettes. Most of the cogs are a solid piece of steel. The largest is a pressed on aluminium cog, and the smallest (or two smallest on 11sp?) are individual cogs. So there's no possibility of the wrong spacers in the middle of the cassette. And it's unlikely that the machining process would be off for some cassettes.... though measuring the cog spacing would tell.

Good thoughts. Those elastomer rings could cause shifting problems.

"As the chain engages the cog it hits the elastomer to quiet the impact and as the chain reacts to pedaling force they slide up the specially machined teeth and off the elastomer. No energy wasted and a longer life for your Stealth Rings. They will not last as long as your cogs, however, and will need to be replaced aftermarket"

But your cassettes are new, no? Wear would not be an issue, but check the elastomers to see if they look right.

My other thought is to try the cassette on a different set of wheels--did you put it on your wife's rear wheel or just put your Enve wheel on her bike? Even though you said it's a brand new wheel, perhaps there is something off with the freehub or something.