S5 similar frames on Aliexpress

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nicos

by Nicos

Hey all,

Looks like they got hold of a S5 mold!

http://fr.aliexpress.com/item/2015-Newe ... 36990.html

It looks really similar to the original (I don't see any different shape, including routing) and they even have the new aero handlebar.
The claimed weight is 970g for size 52 and 400g for the fork. So, close to the original it seems.

I was looking for an open mold/chinese aero carbon frame, looks like this one might surpass my expectations...

What do you guys think, where is the catch/ what are the risks?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

If Cervelo can't get it totally right given numerous warranty and QC issues then how can the thieves?

Nicos

by Nicos

I didn't know they had QC issues, good thing to consider then.
What kind of issues should I expect?

I wonder if they come from the same factory.
It looks so good on the photos, but I need to know more about it, and how can they sell it!

AJS914

by AJS914

I'd rather buy a high end used frame than a knock-off on ali-express. You will have no idea what quality went into the knock off.

Nicos

by Nicos

Good point, I already looked at some 2nd hand propel's or S5's but it never comes as cheap (and as customisable) as this.

If they use the same process, and number of carbon sheets, and I don't see any faults*,
then I think I would trust this frame. But I need to get as much info as I can.

(*I'll just google "how to check a carbon frame" and become an expert overnight :) )

Edit: I might already have found a deal breaking news: the weight. On the store I linked it claims 1.3kg for size 51, and the seller told me approx 1.55 for 56.
That's surprisingly heavy...

wingguy

by wingguy

If they use the same process, and number of carbon sheets, and I don't see any faults*,
then I think I would trust this frame.

And how will you ever know that?

Nicos

by Nicos

No idea, that's one of the things I have yet to figure out.

But the fact that the weight is so heavy already hints me that the process must not be the same...

ergott

by ergott

Don't by imitation knockoff frames. You have no recourse when something goes wrong. They steal designs and infringe on copyrights from other companies. Do you think they care if you are satisfied with the frame? Do you think they care about your safety should it fail?

Just buy a Chinese frame from a company that makes a similar mold (already a million searchable threads on the topic), but is an established company that you have recourse with.

If you are really that desperate to have a name brand on your fake bike just get decals made up and put them on your Hong-Fu or similar bike. You won't fool anyone that knows anything about these bikes either way.

5DII

by 5DII

Nicos wrote:Good point, I already looked at some 2nd hand propel's or S5's but it never comes as cheap (and as customisable) as this.

then I think I would trust this frame. But I need to get as much info as I can.

(*I'll just google "how to check a carbon frame" and become an expert overnight :) )

Edit: I might already have found a deal breaking news: the weight. On the store I linked it claims 1.3kg for size 51, and the seller told me approx 1.55 for 56.
That's surprisingly heavy...

if its heavier its probably stronger

Nicos

by Nicos

ergott wrote:If you are really that desperate to have a name brand on your fake bike just get decals made up and put them on your Hong-Fu or similar bike. You won't fool anyone that knows anything about these bikes either way.

No actually it's quite the opposite the fact that it was branded S5 was the less attrative aspect to me.
It just seem like the first real aero frame I can buy.

It's been a year now that I plan on building a fm069, because it's awesome. And because I didn't find any convincing aero open mold frame.
They have some fake aeroish features, nothing close of the S5 shape.

ergott

by ergott

Sorry I jumped, but I read all too many times people being okay with knockoff parts/frames.

PS - I don't endorse these bikes or have any experience with them. I just thing they are worth investigating before fakes.

http://www.dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=187

Last edited by ergott on Wed May 27, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You're buying a shape and a paint job. As soon as you scratch that paint off, it's a crapshoot as far as resins, carbons, lay ups, quality of those lay ups by whomever laid them up. The list goes on. Not to mention quality control issues. Not saying the big brands deserve every penny they charge, but piece of mind is worth something in my. books.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

tinozee

by tinozee

I was interested in the chinese carbon frames from Dengfu, etc., until I read a few long term reviews about the poor quality. Especially gross was the description of water getting inside the frame easily and difficult to get it out, and a dead wood or spongy feel to the bikes. I suppose there is a range of quality within this large category, but not sure how you can trust it without trying each one personally. In that case, i think the wasted time is worth a few extra hundred dollars to get a used authentic frame on ebay.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

If you are buying a monocoque frame most likely its built in Asia, and the quality assurance largely done by the company assembling the bike. What Cervelo does is mainly marketing and design. Sometimes the company that markets isn't doing that much designing either. I wouldn't buy the copy either, but a company that designs and builds, like a Time will naturally have tighter control over the whole process.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

5DII wrote:if its heavier its probably
built out of completely different materials, different resins, different layups........ and possibly isn't anywhere near as strong/stiff/tough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com