S5 similar frames on Aliexpress

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jorisee

by jorisee

I also saw the new S5 handlebar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Nicos wrote:No idea, that's one of the things I have yet to figure out.

But the fact that the weight is so heavy already hints me that the process must not be the same...

Yeah, that and the fact that it's sold by criminals who are completely unnaccountable in the event of a failure.

Nicos

by Nicos

Calnago wrote:You're buying a shape and a paint job. As soon as you scratch that paint off, it's a crapshoot as far as resins, carbons, lay ups, quality of those lay ups by whomever laid them up. The list goes on. Not to mention quality control issues. Not saying the big brands deserve every penny they charge, but piece of mind is worth something in my. books.

That was my fear, especially with the weight they gave me, they surely went overboard with the resin to make sure everyting holds together...
I think I'll pass, but too bad for the shape, a wind tunnel approved shape is hard to find at this price!

ergott wrote:Sorry I jumped, but I read all too many times people being okay with knockoff parts/frames.

PS - I don't endorse these bikes or have any experience with them. I just thing they are worth investigating before fakes.

http://www.dengfubikes.com/product/detail.php?id=187

I understand, my friends already know what I'm up to, so I don't need fake brands. :mrgreen:

This frame does have some good aero features, but it doesn't look very "clean"
Might be too clutered for me. I like horizontal tubes, and relatively simple lines, like the propel (the perfection for me), canyon aeroad, etc.

There is the the Exocet 2 too, that I might consider, but it's a TT frame. I guess I could just use it as a road bike?

I want to find something aero and cheap, if I don't I'll just get the fm069 that I really like, but aero is a big bonus for me since I want to race with it (Street racing, road race, tt's, triathlons, and KOM hunting :D ) and I like to optimise my bike!

ergott

by ergott

Used Cervelo S3. Pros seem to love that frame.

Nicos

by Nicos

Ok thanks! I'll look for some used S3, S5, Propels, and Aeroad.

And what about using the Exocet 2 as a road/tt hybrid.
Is it safe? I guess it will be against the rules for most races though.
Btw I thought it was supposed to be an open mold, but I can't see it anywhere else than Planet-X :noidea:

ak47

by ak47

My fried has a fake Venge. Stiffness level in the BB area is not even at average level, very poor. He also had a problem with rear dropouts being not aligned properly and so the wheel wasn't seated properly. Overall at that price I would go with the top aluminium frame. Same weight, more stiffness and similar comfort level. IMHO chinese carbon frames are mostly not worth the hassle, especially the fake stuff as the sellers don't care about the aftersales etc.

Martin.dk

by Martin.dk

wingguy wrote:
Nicos wrote:No idea, that's one of the things I have yet to figure out.

But the fact that the weight is so heavy already hints me that the process must not be the same...

Yeah, that and the fact that it's sold by criminals who are completely unnaccountable in the event of a failure.

:up: This!!!! :thumbup:
Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez wrote:Ohh okay! I just knew "plug" was something to put inside a hole... yikes

Krull

by Krull

Nicos wrote:
And what about using the Exocet 2 as a road/tt hybrid.
Is it safe? I guess it will be against the rules for most races though.

i think, the geometry is not really appropriate for use as a road-bike-build, especially considering the steep seat angle and short steerer-tube.

Nicos

by Nicos

Krull wrote:i think, the geometry is not really appropriate for use as a road-bike-build, especially considering the steep seat angle and short steerer-tube.

For the steep seat angle I think it would be ol since I like my saddle forward anyway, even for climbing. But maybe the steerer. I'll search a geometry chart of the frame.
I'll look for the height of the bb area too, it may be lower on a tt frame, that might cause some problems for tight turns, not sure.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Nicos wrote:Edit: I might already have found a deal breaking news: the weight. On the store I linked it claims 1.3kg for size 51, and the seller told me approx 1.55 for 56.
That's surprisingly heavy...

Is that including the fork?
formerly rruff...

Nicos

by Nicos

Nope,

Frame Weight: 51cm approx 1.3kg
Fork Weight: approx 0.48kg
seatpost Weight: approx 0.21kg

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I'd check Denfu, Hongfu, and whoever else has been in business a few years and has a good rep. There are other aero road frames available. Companies with a decent rep have an interest in keeping it.

Then seach the web and forums for any feedback on that model.

Find a direct contact at the company. Someone who people on the forums have had good experience with.

Send a direct email and open with something like "people on weightweenies, roadbikereview, and bikeforums have said you are a good person to deal with". That lets them know you aren't a clueless person, and they will get negative feedback on the forums if they send you reject junk, or screw up your order and don't fix it to your satisfaction.
formerly rruff...

racersir

by racersir

I too would get an used S3 or S2 frame over a fake frame, heck I prefer my Caad 10 frame over any of those fake frames. That's my opinion

Nicos

by Nicos

Thanks for the tips WMW, and everyone else

I think I made up my mind, I'll get the fm069.

I don't want to give myself too many advantages, especially since it would give more escuses to the people I beat :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com