Cycle Manufacturer Paint Codes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

More of a rant than a request...

Why don't cycling frame makers supply colour codes for their paint?!!

Compared to the automobile world, this is woefully inadequate.

Does anyone have any info from any cycling company about their colour codes, or do they all keep them unpublished?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

And when people are spending such large amounts of money on bikes why don't they supply a free bottle of touch-up paint?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

It's probably no help to you, but I know that Kona includes touch-up paint with their bikes.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Haha, yeah, it is ridiculous.

Just look at the automobile world; there is a whole side industry devoted to cleaning, polishing, detailing, scratch fixing, respraying. etc etc etc etc.

With the point we are at now with bikes, there should be a similar ethos from the manufacturers; they should supply color codes, or some way of identifying and mixing paint to match, and like Valbrona said, they should at least supply some touch up paint. It is insane that this is not done.

glam2deaf; didn't know that! Will have a look and see how they go about it.

Would be really good to start an online service / list of colours for bikes, with info about how to mix the right colour / where to get the paint from / which car maker and model maybe matches it, etc.

glam2deaf

by glam2deaf

I guess the other issue is I'm looking out the window right now and I haven't seen one car go past that is painted more than one colour. But if I walk into a bike store, I doubt I'll see one bike painted just one colour.

sungod

by sungod

you can get it as long as the maker's customer service is clued up, for instance...

http://surlybikes.com/info_hole/faqs/wh ... r_my_frame

maybe it is easier for steel/al frames where ye olde coating processes are used? but if they've taken two or more ral/other colours and mixed, you need the recipe but if they're not tight on process control there could be batch variation and it you may still not get an ideal match

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

Kona do indeed. A mate had one of their cheapie hard-tails, even that came with 2 little bottles of touch up paint.

mimason

by mimason

Call me lucky but I scored some red Electra bike touch up paint from the grab box at my LBS that matches my Pina red 956. Otherwise, I'd be trial and error at the nail polish kiosks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com