Lightest Road aero drop bar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

I don't know what the lightest is, but my 38cm Zipp SL-70 aero weighs 227g.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Synnove

by Synnove

I believe the lightest is the 3T Aeronova LTD, though you pay for that with more flex of course.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stono38

by stono38

Maybe Zipp, or another carbon aero bar.

Stueys

by Stueys

Has anyone seen any tunnel data on the benefit of an aero bar? I've struggled to find anything. I keep eyeing up the enve ses bar which looks gorgeous

davidalone

by davidalone

according to cervelo the aero drop bar gives 30-40% of the aero savings of the new S5 versus the old S5. (4.4 watts, at whatever speed they test at. Thats a pretty decent gain to just changing your handlebars, in the neighbourhood of having an aero wheels versus normal wheels. pretty big difference

I wouldn't take it as coincidence that some pretty legit aero bikes/component makers ( canyon, 3T, zipp, Cervelo, Giant, SPecilized, and ENVE) are paing attention to bar shape.

lannes

by lannes

Schmolke TLO range is probably the lightest, it will also make your wallet the lightest. :noidea:

http://www.schmolke-carbon.com/carbon/carbon_uk/tlo.php

Marin

by Marin

Schmolke are not aero though.

Deda probably the lighest, and the feel really good.

prebsy

by prebsy

Stueys wrote:Has anyone seen any tunnel data on the benefit of an aero bar? I've struggled to find anything. I keep eyeing up the enve ses bar which looks gorgeous

This is the closest thing I've found to "data" http://www.aeroweenie.com/assets/img/da ... d-bars.png

Stueys

by Stueys

Interesting, thanks for that. Surprised at the difference width makes, though it makes perfect logic. Need to rethink my 44.....

mlein

by mlein

3T Aeronova LTD at 169g isn't bad for a true and gorgeous bit of aero kit. Internal cabling to boot. Stepped up from 3T Ergonova and the drag savings was significantly noticable. Wrap to the flat transition only. Been running for 7 months and stiff, stiff. Mate with a Extralight stem at 70-90g for a super light yet stiff tiller setup. I'm 61Kg. Happy riding!

addictR1

by addictR1

Juanmoretime wrote:Did your 3T Aeronova really weigh that? My 40 3T Aerotundo came in at 205 grams verses the claimed 185 grams by 3T. To me the gain in aerodynamics was worth the 32 gram increase over my previous bars plus I was able to tweak a few thing to offset the weight gain.

+1.. i'd like to see that too. when i got my 3T seatpost it was 30+grams over the claimed.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

Yes please post scale pics. My lightest normal carbon bar is 175

Philbar72

by Philbar72

got the zipp Sl70 aero's in 40cm size, they weighed 219grams. in terms of feel and drop position, they are wonderful, really comfortable. i've a post of them front on on the time machine with me on it to give you an idea of what they look like frontally on a bike.

i've never ridden anything like them.

survivor

by survivor

Using an ENVE SES Aero road bar size 42cm, weight 246grams. Not the lightest of the bunch but I like it very much, especially the flair of the drop. You have 42cm c-c on the drops but 37cm c-c on the hood which gives you a better aero position when riding on the hood, which I do 90% of the time. Integrated bar end plugs is a plus. However, please beware that if you are using this bar with an ENVE stem then it leaves no room for third party Garmin/Computer mount. The bar clamping area is just enough for the stem. You will have to use the ENVE's Garmin mount.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jvanv8

by jvanv8

The Aeronova LTD ticks all your requirements and is a very nice handlebar. Not sure why they claim 169 grams because 208 grams for an aero road bar with internal routing is quite good. But if you order one and put it on a scale it's unlikely to say "169g".
I'd still love to have one for an aero build. Hopefully we'll see more R&D for for reasonably light "road aero" handlebars in the next year... not many choices currently.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist