Poor shifting performance with Extralite Octaramp?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JasonL

by JasonL

Quick update, switched the Octaramp rings out for standard SRAM red 22 rings and now have absolutely flawless shifting. I'll miss the weight savings, but at least I have properly functioning chainrings that shift up without issue :(

jano

by jano

Anyone tried the Extralite Octaramp chainrings with Ultegra Di2 6870 FD? Any and all info is welcome. Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Enkei

by Enkei

jano wrote:Anyone tried the Extralite Octaramp chainrings with Ultegra Di2 6870 FD? Any and all info is welcome. Thank you.

I use Sram22 Red Crank BB30 and Ultegra DI2 6870, Sti, rd and fd with new octaramp 50/34. The Shifting is bad for sure bit it works. The DI2 moves the fd enough to engage but its like the the big ring is to weak to catch it under load. So i have to shift really gentle.

My analysis is that they are just crap and that if u want stealth that works go praxis and fibrelyte for weight.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

This is strange, when i spoke to Extralite they told me no customer have been complaining!
We all see that most of you guys complain, so i guess this is another company not telling the truth.

I wonder when the day comes when open reports about bad design is an open thread.

I already see that many companies abuse their interpretative prerogative to not sort, help or warrant components.

Dealers are fairly useless these days. They care more about the business releation with the companies it seems.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jano

by jano

Many thanks Enkei! You avoided me a bunch of head ache with your help.
Now I'm thinking either Praxis, BOR or Rotor chainrings. I know Praxis and Rotor are good, didn't find much info about BOR yet.

jano

by jano

Agree with you WheelsOnFire, customer satisfaction isn't a priority anymore, for at least 90% of the dealers. They do their best until they get your money, then you're on your own.
We should all concentrate on purchasing from those 10% who really care about their customers and make them really successful.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Worst no matter what you buy, you know not how they handle your case untill you are stuck.
This is why i never would plunge money into all these "new" super integrated framesets.
They are too complicated. Imagine when these models are due change/ revision again and you are stuck with something that is not industry standard.
People should really try to think of what happens, if anything really happens.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jano

by jano

The whole manufacturing world has embraced the idea that consumers should buy new every time something breaks, plus they introduced planned obsolescence to make things even better!
Not bothering with customer satisfaction follows the same path, they know that if everyone does the same then we are stuck and will have to buy again from one of them.

Meccanica

by Meccanica

Has anyone bought or used the newer version of these chainrings, specifically the updated RC-2 on e-Tap?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

964Cup

by 964Cup

Weird. I have Octaramp on Quarq DZero Carbon with Di2 9070, and another set on Rotor PowerLT with 7900 and both shift flawlessly. Could be front mech mount geometry?

Meccanica

by Meccanica

964Cup wrote:Weird. I have Octaramp on Quarq DZero Carbon with Di2 9070, and another set on Rotor PowerLT with 7900 and both shift flawlessly. Could be front mech mount geometry?
That's good news. I saw they updated the chainrings a while back and this thread is pretty old. I've seen a couple reviews of the newer version and everyone has been pretty happy with shifting performance. I'll also be running this on a quarq dzero carbon just with eTap.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The OP said something about his rings missing the pins. Is this maybe the reason?

FD hitting the inside of thr crank arm also sounds weird. Like it's cage is too wide or chain too narrow.

/a

Wookski

by Wookski

I have run Octaramps on a sisl2 with super record and once dialled in shifting was acceptable. Nowhere near as crisp as spiderings and required a soft touch which could only be achieved with mech. Once I got used to them it was easy to live with.

Because of the finesse required I wouldn’t put them near an electronic system where the mech action is binary.

Wookski

by Wookski

alcatraz wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:27 am
The OP said something about his rings missing the pins. Is this maybe the reason?

FD hitting the inside of thr crank arm also sounds weird. Like it's cage is too wide or chain too narrow.

/a
RC2 rings don’t have shift pins

hannawald

by hannawald

Is there some more experience with Extralite RC2 and eTap? Shall I stay away of these and keep Red 22 chainrings instead?
Thank you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com