Run out of patience with tubulars,what clinchers to race on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

boysa, I hear you. you know, like these new-fangled horseless carriage contraptions. Who needs them when horse-drawn carriages are proven and work so well.

As for snake oil, we'll see. I do find the claim of a savings of 20 g per wheel vs. use of Mastik to be rather dubious given that there should be less than 20 g total dried Mastik One glue on the wheel/tire after mounting and drying. So maybe the marketing people at Vittoria really have run wild.

nibby

by nibby

Looks like you have the puncture side sorted. Are you pleased with the jump to Tubulars now over your Clinchers? or is the difference not worth it?

thinking of similar myself but will probably go 33-35's as I want them to perform best up hills.
cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OhPinchy

by OhPinchy

nibby wrote:Looks like you have the puncture side sorted. Are you pleased with the jump to Tubulars now over your Clinchers? or is the difference not worth it?

thinking of similar myself but will probably go 33-35's as I want them to perform best up hills.
cheers

Haven't actually been on the wheels yet since replacing the tires. I've decided the rear wheel will live on my TT bike, with a carbon disc cover. The TT bike is a nightmare to setup as it has integrated brakes and to avoid losing the time tweaking it to there's no break rub or disc cover hitting the frame every time I swap wheels in/out, I'm just going to leave the wheel on it. I use a trispoke clincher on the front of the TT bike, so the 50mm front wheel is not likely to be used much.

That said, I can tell straight away that the Continental Competition is much more puncture resistant than the Veloflex, and, other than the pain of getting off the glue from the tire (not the rims, which was easy), the process of replacing the tires wasn't that bad. And when I factor in the Tufo Extreme Sealant, I'd be much more confident using tubs in future.

So the reason I won't be using these 50mm tubs much is that I made an impulse purchase and got some Campagnolo Bora One 35mm carbon clinchers. Being honest, I just wanted them as I think they look so damn good, and they totally change my bike and I love the look of them and from short test ride, they're excellent. Toyed with getting them in tubs as I know there's logic to it, but they're still so light that I could live with the clincher versions and peace of mind it gives me (C24s will be used for long climbs/descents).