Firestrike 303 possible launch date

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LRB23

by LRB23

Does anyone out there have any ideas as to when Zipp might launch their 303 FIRESTRIKE clincher wheelset? 404's sound impressive.
I'm looking to upgrade to an all round carbon wheel set. The current 303's sound good but the improvements made in the Firestrike 404's sound very interesting. Also on the cards is are the Wnve 3.4's but it's a pretty big price jump. It's not necessarily a question of money... I'm more concerned what my fiancé will say when she finds out how much I've spent on a set of wheels.
Also is a concern is whether as an amateur cyclist whether I'll notice a difference. I'm currently running Fulcrum Racing Zeros.

Thanks for any suggestions/help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

If I were you I'd get a set of Firecrest 303s tubular, and take the extra 1600 and buy the fiance something nice. I ride 404 firecrest, have several sets, and have yet to damage any of those wheels. I looked at the firestrike and what the supposed improvements are (it's not much), then quickly realized that this might push the price of firecrests down.

Other question - is your set of Fulcrum Zeros 21mm wide? If so, you will feel a significant difference with the Zipps. The only misconception people seem to get is with speed though, aero wheels aren't going to make you go that much faster. Maybe easier to hold speed over 25mph or so, and easier to slice through head winds.

Someone will probably chime in here to whine about the hubs, but they are fine once you figure out how to adjust and service them. I'd go for a brand new warrantied set you can find them for like 1800-2000. The V8 and beyond version of the 188 hub is good imo.

Tomdaws

by Tomdaws

I've just bought some 303s for £1500 - A couple of places selling them for that just now.

wingguy

by wingguy

LRB23 wrote:The current 303's sound good but the improvements made in the Firestrike 404's sound very interesting. Also on the cards is are the Wnve 3.4's but it's a pretty big price jump. It's not necessarily a question of money... I'm more concerned what my fiancé will say when she finds out how much I've spent on a set of wheels.

Firestrikes are more way more expensive than Firecrest and somewhat more expensive than Enve. Uk pricing is Firecrest £2100, Enve 3.4 on Chris King £2500, Firestrike £2750.

Also, since the 303 is already extremely good in crosswinds the only applicable fireStrike benefits are the brake track and the ceramic bearings - and the bearing upgrade is available anyway.

LRB23

by LRB23

Thanks guys these are all good points. I'm kind of keen to upgrade sooner rather than later since summer is in full swing down the south of France.

I'm not expecting to go faster with an upgrade but I'm hoping that I'll be able to notice the tangible benefits of Aero carbon wheels. Are the King 45 hubs worth the extra cash on the Enve's?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

303 Firecrest basically already has the firestrike rim profile no? At least here it looks pretty close:

wingguy

by wingguy

LRB23 wrote:I'm not expecting to go faster with an upgrade but I'm hoping that I'll be able to notice the tangible benefits of Aero carbon wheels. Are the King 45 hubs worth the extra cash on the Enve's?

I would say definitely, but I'm kinda biased because I hate DT-Swiss with a passion. It's just build quality. CKs have a 5 year warranty which is way beyond industry standard, whereas I've had a couple of DT-Swiss wheelsets (on mtbs, to be fair) that didn't last 6 months until the insides were worn to dust.

Plus, CKs look cool and sound like nothing else, so there's that :P
Last edited by wingguy on Mon May 25, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boysa

by boysa

I am in agreement. I despise DT hubs, and have had two failures at the most inopportune times, both on low mileage, well-maintained hubs. Just my experience, of course, but I won't use them again.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

tinozee

by tinozee

Wow I'm surprised you guys had trouble with DT hubs. I've seen pics of the flange broken on a MTB forum but not much else. I'd go with 240s any day on any wheel, but likewise, it might just be my experience. King's are good quality, but imo anodized colored hubs are ugly bling and the sound is awful! I like the sound of quiet precision. To each his own I guess.

bombertodd

by bombertodd

The Chris King hubs are pretty quite. I wish they had the loud sound of their older models.

dunbar42

by dunbar42

tinozee wrote:If so, you will feel a significant difference with the Zipps. The only misconception people seem to get is with speed though, aero wheels aren't going to make you go that much faster. Maybe easier to hold speed over 25mph or so, and easier to slice through head winds.

If they save you power, they make you faster, just not as much as many people expect. I am faster on the same power on my aero bike with 404's riding into a headwind/crosswind. The Zipp's do feel slower to spin up than my aluminum wheels (which weigh the same BTW.) So in a low winds, or a tailwind, my regular road bike with aluminum wheels feels like it accelerates quicker. I'm still confident that I'm faster on the aero bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

^^^

Perhaps this is why some wheels feels more sluggish than others.
Using CCU, i contemplate what would be an interesting wheel to run as a second set.

I would say, overhere it's often rather windy and there are no extreme hills or descents but neither fully flat.
I am no sprinter an no climber. I try to keep an even pace and steadily increase that.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.