Go to carbon frameset

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Somewhat new to the forum, so if there's already a thread dedicated to this please direct me there.

I'm on the market for a new frameset. Doesn't have to necessarily be carbon, but i'm already aware of all the aluminium ones (caad 10, canyon, kinesis, van dessel etc. etc.)

Is there a 'go to' carbon frameset? I've been told about canyon ultimate cf sl, but they're out of stock for my size. Other than canyon what are the other highly recommended, do it all (to an extent) carbon framesets, which preferably fall under £1000? I should mention i'm not hugely hung up about weight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Why carbon?

If the budget is sub £1000 a decent alloy frame, e.g. Specialized Allez smartweld - currently £640, would out perform most, if not all budget carbon frames.
Your other option would be increase the budget and get a basic full bike with good frame and swap out the equipment. The cheapest Tarmac, Roubaix, Wilier GTR just to name a few, gets you a pretty decent frame with kit good enough to swap onto a winter hack and costs less than the frame only option.

To get better suggestions more info would also be useful. Is it for race, sportive, gravel, climbing, rough or smooth roads? Do you prefer an aggressive position or more upright? As it stands you haven't given us much to work with and you need to realise there is no such thing as a "go to" frameset as nobody has the same fit or requirements.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

for 1100 GBP you can get a wilier GTR with Athena gruppo&Khamsin asymmetric wheels, or for 1200 GBP, the same frame&gruppo with Scirocco 35 wheels. Or stretch furter, around 2200 euros, you can get Zero9 (Wilier) with Ultegra&Ksyrium SL wheelset.

Why would you choose alloy? what's your budget? :)

MiloAS

by MiloAS

Thing is, i've already got wheels, groupset etc. so all I really need is a frame. My budget for the frameset is 1000ish, give or take. I know that allow outperforms a lot of carbon frames, and i've got my eye on the bowman palace frames.

After realising that carbon frames are as strong as alloy, i'm thinking of buying something other than alloy. Having said that, alloy isn't out the question.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

breezerboy wrote:Why carbon?

If the budget is sub £1000 a decent alloy frame, e.g. Specialized Allez smartweld - currently £640, would out perform most, if not all budget carbon frames.
Your other option would be increase the budget and get a basic full bike with good frame and swap out the equipment. The cheapest Tarmac, Roubaix, Wilier GTR just to name a few, gets you a pretty decent frame with kit good enough to swap onto a winter hack and costs less than the frame only option.

To get better suggestions more info would also be useful. Is it for race, sportive, gravel, climbing, rough or smooth roads? Do you prefer an aggressive position or more upright? As it stands you haven't given us much to work with and you need to realise there is no such thing as a "go to" frameset as nobody has the same fit or requirements.

Fair enough. Here's the deal. I'm looking for something to race on, criteriums and road races, with an aggressive riding position.
I know nobody has the asme fit or requirements, but i've read before that the canyon frameset is very popular, and i was wondering if there any more like that.

IchDien

by IchDien

If you're a licensed racer then you can get a discount from Canyon on some of their bikes and framesets.

davidalone

by davidalone

I'd go with the suggestion of buying a full bike and then sell off the parts you get. you'd probably make a god bit of money fromthe parts and save on the frameset anyway.

as for go-to bikes, the boardman series offers good value, if a little unsexy. the scott foil and the new addict have good reputations as well, can't really go very far wrong with them

jeffy

by jeffy

my deductive skills might be terrible but....

you said that the Canyon SF SL is sold out in your size .....assuming mechanical....unless you are fussy about the color that means your size is small.
assuming you didn't already know about the race license discount - you thought this frame was £959 ...

the CF SLX - mechanical model is in stock in size small. and with a race license ~£35 iirc from British Cycling, the frame is £1,271.04

if i was in that position, it would be very tempting ... spend a bit more - get a top class carbon frame.

?

alternatively buy the AL SLX for £559.03 and buy a power2max.

MiloAS

by MiloAS

jeffy wrote:my deductive skills might be terrible but....

you said that the Canyon SF SL is sold out in your size .....assuming mechanical....unless you are fussy about the color that means your size is small.
assuming you didn't already know about the race license discount - you thought this frame was £959 ...

the CF SLX - mechanical model is in stock in size small. and with a race license ~£35 iirc from British Cycling, the frame is £1,271.04

if i was in that position, it would be very tempting ... spend a bit more - get a top class carbon frame.

?

alternatively buy the AL SLX for £559.03 and buy a power2max.

I was aware of that actually, and it is indeed very tempting. I was more looking at the ultimate cf sl frame for 799 :?. The saying 'race what you can afford to replace' comes to mind, and given that i've got a fair amount of cycling experience under my belt, but no crit racing experience, i'm erring on the side of caution haha.

jeffy

by jeffy

maybe email canyon and ask when they would expect more stock of your size?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jeffy

by jeffy

alternativly buy the best deal and break down and sell the components.

i think the campy one is best value for reselling. unfortunately you would have to swap out BB

£500 ish for the AL SLX is a great deal.