XPEDO pedals mainteinance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

sent mail to XPEDO, no reply

on their website, no manuals or tips

i need to do some manteinance to my road pedals

XPEDO Thrust 8 TI

which bearings do they use ?

size of the inner bolt ?

:beerchug: thanks
http://eliflap.it/

Qman

by Qman

One of mine needs a little maintenance and I'm hoping to get to it this weekend. If I find out anything I'll let you know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

a pair of mtb pedals , high end model, use:

- 4 bearings 61700 2RS1 , 2 each pedal, inner position

- 2 bearings 686 ZZ, 1 each pedal, external position

will be useful to compare your bearings to them, searching for measurements

how to remove them will be another challenge ... hoping they are only pressed in

Qman

by Qman

Here is the bearing replacement kit from Xpedo: http://shop.xpedo.com/p/3x-sealed-bearing-kit?pp=12
The large ones look like 61700 and the small ones look like 686, so it seems to match your information.

I'll pull the pedal apart and let you know.

Qman

by Qman

Use a 6mm allen key to remove the outside cap.
Use a 9mm socket to remove the inside nut. On the left pedal both of these are right hand threaded.
Slide the pedal body off. There is a seal on the inside that comes off. There is a lot of grease on the pedal spindle.
On the outside of the pedal body there is a single bearing, inside diameter is 6mm, outside diameter is 13mm, so it is likely a 686 ZZ.
On the inside there are two bearings, inside diameter 10mm, outside diameter 15mm, so they are likely 61700.
I don't have my calipers with me so the dimensions are eyeballed with a ruler.

I don't need to remove the bearings so I didn't try. They are simply pressed into the plastic pedal body. If you press in new ones, make sure you don't push on the shield. It will bend inward and press on the balls within, causing the bearing to drag. Preferably find a socket or tube that is big enough to just push on the side of the outer race.

Hopefully this helps!

Qman

by Qman

One correction: the bearings are a loose fit in the pedal body. Just sliding the body on and off the greased spindle causes the bearings to stick on the grease and come out of the body. You'll have no problems getting the bearings out and new ones in.

Note: I've found that you need to check the outer cap once in a while for tightness. If the cap loosens then the pedal starts to have some side-to-side movement on the spindle and the inside seal pops off. That's why I took mine apart. I just wanted to clean it up and make sure the seal was re-installed properly.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

Qman , many thanks ...

however , yesterday , before opening this thread, i disassembled my pedals only to regrease the spindle ( ad i was in hurry so i did not measure or tried to remove bearings).

my little work on today's ride have had a big improvement in riding silence and smoothness. I used Mobil Grease 28 (red color).

so i have to check for spare bearings to change them, they have 2 years of rides on their shoulders

Nozes

by Nozes

Hello,

I recently bought a pair of Xpedo Thrust 7 (same as Thrust 8,but with cromoly spindle).
I've searched everywhere for compatible titanium spindles, but no luck so far.

Does anyone have a picture of the Thrust spindles? Xpedo makes other pedals with 3 bearings,probably one of those might fit.

Thanks.

Marin

by Marin

I'm pretty sure Xpedo = Wellgo = Ritchey, so maybe check the Ritchey spindles on offer.

Noone makes ti spindles for the Ritchey Micros I run, but I've seen ones with threaded ends that could fit.

Nozes

by Nozes

I used the Pro Micro. Maybe Wellgo makes them, as they are the biggest pedal maker, but the axles are very different,the Pro Micro uses 1 bearing+1 bushing per side, and this Xpedos have 3 bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com