Campagnolo 11 Shifters... Maintenance and Longevity?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

I have some Chorus 11 levers, about 4 years old I think, so ~30K miles. No problems, work great. Just replace the cables every year or so. I don't miss the G springs...

Lately the right one has developed an extra "click" in the paddle that has me worried. Feels like there is some added resistance and then a soft click before the first real click where it engages a new gear. It still shifts ok, and the thumb lever doesn't seem to be effected.

Is this something that can be addressed by tearing down and relubing? Or maybe replacing some small part? Or is the shifter just worn out and not fixable?

Thanks!
formerly rruff...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Although there was a redesign of the shifters in 2009, the paddle mech did not change from the design established a decade before. It consists of a pawl that engages a toothed ring to rotate the spindle. As far as I can see there is little that can be done in the way of maintenance other that seeing that things are clean and very lightly lubricated. The mech will eventually wear, or can be damaged by using too much force, and the only fix that Campy has provided is to replace the whole body. I would start to think a replacement is in order when it fails to shift. Up till then, keep using it.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Doh! Discovered the problem. It was a simple case of a sticky cable. I didn't think that would be it, since it had no trouble shifting to smaller cogs, but I was wrong.

I've been doing some research, and it appears they don't sell parts anymore except for the full body and guts. That is a decent price though (~$90).

Ideas about lube are mixed. I've sprayed some teflon dry lube in mine occasionally, but that's it. At any rate, it has 30k miles and is working great. Lots of shifting (mountains) but I only get caught in rain a few times a year. These shifters are easy to take apart, but I don't think I'm going to bother until something is wrong.
formerly rruff...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

and I thought that maybe your shifters were evolving into a 12 speed version. that would be neat.

Parts are not made any more but many parts are available. If I open a catalogue there are more campagnolo shifter spares than you can shake a stick at it. Looks like they made too many.