Shimano ultegra Shifters 11 speed on 10 speed cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tomstr

by Tomstr

So I'm building a stationary training bike with an old frame and wheels I had lying around. I'm going to swap the groups of the bikes down so I can upgrade my Propel to Ultegra.

But here's the thing, I'm still running 10speed as it's cheap, reliable and all my road bikes have 10s so it makes for easy swapping when needed. But the Ultegra 10s shifters are actually more expensive than the 11s and (understandably) much more expensive than the 105 10s.

My question is, can I run 11s shifters on a 10s group. And, are the Ultegra's really 25% or so better than the 105's (that do an ok job, no hassle).
Last edited by Frankie - B on Thu May 21, 2015 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited your topic title to better suit your question.
Ride it like you stole it

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I believe the shifters pull different amounts of cable. The shifters are really what determines the "speeds" of a mechanical group, as they determine the amount of cable pulled and hence the amount of movement at the derailleurs.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Tomstr wrote:My question is, can I run 11s shifters on a 10s group. And, are the Ultegra's really 25% or so better than the 105's (that do an ok job, no hassle).

No. And you can buy 10spd 105 shifters from Ribble for $109 with the current 10% off code. I don't know if the Ultegras are better.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... himgrss650
formerly rruff...

MisterMuncher

by MisterMuncher

For a stationary trainer bike, I'd get Tiagra levers, 4600 or 4700. They'll work fine.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

You're all right I'm afraid. It used to work with mountainbikes but I must be getting old. :D

@ WMW, thanks for the link. Good price!

@ MrMuncher, Yes and no. I have a Giant TCR with the old Ultegra that I want to update anyways so those components get a clean and then go onto the stationary bike. The 105 of the Propel will go to the TCR with good old Gore-Tex cables and the Propel get's the Ultegra parts as it's the fastest of my bunch. Does that make sense? :mrgreen:
Ride it like you stole it