Yaw front derailleur compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BuTbKa

by BuTbKa

Hi all. Sorry if it was discussed before, but I was unable to find an answer.
I recently upgraded my Cannondale CAAD10 to SRAM force 22 groupset. But I really disliked how new Force 22 BB30 crankset looks on the frame due to longer spindle, so I refused to keep it.
Currently installed crankset is 10 speed FSA Energy pretty heavy and has compatibility issues with Sram YAW front derailleur.
What would be my best option to finish my upgrade to take full advantage of YAW technology, have best performance and not to compromise the look?

I'm leaning towards using bottom bracket conversion from BB30 to GXP and get GXP Force 22 or Red 22 crankset. Something like:
CONV BB-SRAM/GXP ISIS2 ROAD | Praxis Cycles
or
KCNC/RWC PF30 to GXP BB Adapter with Enduro Bearings

There are few more brands available such as Chris King or Wheel Monufacturing..
Am I on right track or should I look into getting different crankset, or maybe replace just chainrings on my FSA cranks??
If this is the way to go which bottom bracket conversion should I go with????

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NYCPrynne

by NYCPrynne

I had a similar problem trying to mate Praxis chainrings with Yaw. Switched to the SRAM non-hidden bolt chainring which solved the problem

deek

by deek

Why not just get the Red BB30 crank? Why go GXP? The spindle on the GXP cranks are similar in length to the Force BB30 crankset.

BuTbKa

by BuTbKa

I was thinking force 22 and red 22 crankset have same spindle length

BuTbKa

by BuTbKa

deek wrote:Why not just get the Red BB30 crank? Why go GXP? The spindle on the GXP cranks are similar in length to the Force BB30 crankset.

Praxis claims their rings fully compatible with yaw..

deek

by deek

BuTbKa wrote:I was thinking force 22 and red 22 crankset have same spindle length

Nope, totally different cranks. Force22 GXP and BB30 cranks are actually the same cranks with a different spindle. The Red BB30 cranks are one of the lightest cranks you can buy.

BuTbKa

by BuTbKa

What about fitment on BB30 frame? I will do more research on that..

deek

by deek

Red BB30 cranks are designed specifically to fit on BB30 frames...

BuTbKa

by BuTbKa

I had no idea sram made force 22 bb30 with 83mm spindle, but red 22 bb30 with correct length of 68mm. Thank you for pointing me in right direction. On a side note: should I consider Hollowgram Si instead of red? Price is similar, and cannondale ships all Force and Red group bikes with Si.

deek

by deek

Force BB30 also works with BB386, Red was not designed with that in mind.

I didn't think that the Red BB30 crankset and the Cannondale crankset were that comparable in price? The Red crankset is ~$400, Cannondale cranks are generally more than that. There is also a difference between the Si and SiSL cranksets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

BuTbKa wrote:I had no idea sram made force 22 bb30 with 83mm spindle, but red 22 bb30 with correct length of 68mm.

The original Force BB30 crank had the short spindle. They went to the long spindle a few years ago.

BuTbKa wrote: should I consider Hollowgram Si instead of red?

Personally I'd get that because it's lighter.

You might want to check out Fairwheel's Crank Test if you haven't already.