Enve 3.4 or 4.5 (Bora Ultra 35)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Are Enve stiffer, or? They say 4.5 is stiffer...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

mimason

by mimason

Meeroad, are you using the same pressure, tires and tubes? I'd be interested to also hear if you mix up fronts and rears of the two brands if you can isolate if the rear Enve being taller contributes to this perception(ENVE front and Bora Rear etc).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

meeRoad

by meeRoad

wheelsONfire: enve do feel a bit stiffer, but they are also significantly harsher - I compared 3.4 with bora Ultra 50 - and the 50s despite being deeper are more comfortable

mimason: same pressure and same tires on both enve and boras

23 GP4000s II - front - measure 24.8 on enve and 24.7 on Boras - 100 psi on both

25 GP4000s II - back - measure 26.5 on both enve and Boras - 100 psi op both
S-Works Tarmac SL6
Colnago C59
Canyon Ultimate
CAAD 10

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Oops... that is not what i like. I use CCU now and i certainly would not buy into harsher wheels than those.
I guess Enve can be near those.
You use clincher Meeroad?
I would buy tubs. But i am not sure if the different widths in rims plays any role using tubs.
I can surely see it affect a clincher tire, but a tubular i am not convinced on. I think i will just go for Ax Lightness after hearing your feedback.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

meeRoad

by meeRoad

I use clinchers.
I absolutely love Boras - not as a anything made by Campy fan - I got to test them on a few long (more than 100 miles) rides with road conditions less than perfect and they have been fantastic - very comfortable, fast and great for climbing.
If you can get a good deal on Boras, get them!
S-Works Tarmac SL6
Colnago C59
Canyon Ultimate
CAAD 10

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Well, I got a chance to spend some time on both the enve 3.4 and bora ultra 35. Here are some quick thoughts and pics below:

**disclaimer: I'm not a bike expert, racer, pro... or claim to be one. I'm just a bike enthusiast that spends alot of time riding to be healthy (no more high blood pressure or high cholesterol) and lose weight (40lbs to date) ... and since I spend alot of time on the bike, why not spend it on a nice road bike :)

- Ultra 35 rides and feel lighter
- Ultra 35 seems to spin up quicker (most likely because of the cult ceramic bearings vs. dt swiss 240 on the enves). Even my wife says the enves seems to spin up slower. If I upgrade the hub on the enves, it will probably be better
- Enves stiffer out of the saddle. (I think the spoke pattern on the ultras i.e. G3 maybe the reason for not being as stiff as enves?)
- At first, I thought the enves absorbed road vibrations better. But after long miles, I can't tell the difference anymore
- Both handled crosswinds well, but will give it to the ultra 35s for being slightly better and more stable on descents
- Hands down, braking goes to ultra 35
- I like both (both wheels rides well and they both make the tarmac look great), but if I had to chose again, I'd chose the ultra 35 (or maybe, just maybe...also consider the ultra 50). This is an expensive hobby, but if it keeps me and the wife healthier, why not...

steventran

by steventran

Thanks for the direct comparison.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

For what it is worth, I think the ENVEs look better on your bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ronderman

by ronderman

OK,so I had the 3.4 ENVE wheels laced to king R45 ceramic - had it in clincher - even at a "bro" deal it wasn't cheap. Wanted it to be my everyday all-time wheel.

I sold it after 4 months of spring/summer riding. Went to Bora (gotta read to see why). So why did I sell it?

1. It isn't all that aero, it looks GREAT, way, way sexy. Bot not all that aero.
2. It aint that light. Over 1500 grams - in clinchers there are a lot of good wheels in that price point - like a ton at a lot, lot less money.
3. Braking sucks. Like totally sucks. Like, it sucks - did I say that? If it rains - forget it . . . I did one ride in summer rain and any hill was borderline a death trap.
4. They don't ride that great. I tired veloflex,vittoria - yea, just doesn't work - latex tubes matter not.

So I sold them. Here is what Purchased - Fulcrum Racing 1 2 ways for US $500. Bora 50mmm Racing 1s tubular - US $1,300. King hubs R45 campy laced to DT Swiss 2nd had US $500.

I would take what I got second hand every time and twice on Sunday. I can't say it enough. Bora 1s are THE sleeper wheel - repeat THE sleeper wheel at that price point with warranty. Come on . . . . . .

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

I'm thinking of selling the 3.4 enves as well...they look great on the bike, but I'm liking the ride quality of the ultra 35 more.

ronderman wrote:OK,so I had the 3.4 ENVE wheels laced to king R45 ceramic - had it in clincher - even at a "bro" deal it wasn't cheap. Wanted it to be my everyday all-time wheel.

I sold it after 4 months of spring/summer riding. Went to Bora (gotta read to see why). So why did I sell it?

1. It isn't all that aero, it looks GREAT, way, way sexy. Bot not all that aero.
2. It aint that light. Over 1500 grams - in clinchers there are a lot of good wheels in that price point - like a ton at a lot, lot less money.
3. Braking sucks. Like totally sucks. Like, it sucks - did I say that? If it rains - forget it . . . I did one ride in summer rain and any hill was borderline a death trap.
4. They don't ride that great. I tired veloflex,vittoria - yea, just doesn't work - latex tubes matter not.

So I sold them. Here is what Purchased - Fulcrum Racing 1 2 ways for US $500. Bora 50mmm Racing 1s tubular - US $1,300. King hubs R45 campy laced to DT Swiss 2nd had US $500.

I would take what I got second hand every time and twice on Sunday. I can't say it enough. Bora 1s are THE sleeper wheel - repeat THE sleeper wheel at that price point with warranty. Come on . . . . . .

boysa

by boysa

You guys are killing me. I'm dying to pick up a set of Boras, maybe 35 but more likely 50s, since I am on Enve 45/65 and kind of, sort of, absolutely... hate them. I keep dropping the hints, but my usually agreeable wife is not having it. Think I need to get serious.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I just bought a set of ENVE 4.5 clinchers with DT Swiss 180 Ceramic for my Parlee Z-Zero build. I'll provide a review soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thanasi

by thanasi

boysa wrote:You guys are killing me. I'm dying to pick up a set of Boras, maybe 35 but more likely 50s, since I am on Enve 45/65 and kind of, sort of, absolutely... hate them. I keep dropping the hints, but my usually agreeable wife is not having it. Think I need to get serious.

I got a set of 4.5ses tubulars recently and at first had lots of buyers remorse over not getting a set of Bora 35s. The 4.5 feel fast at speed but I'm not a fan of the CK hubs. They feel like complete sh*t until they get broken in and afterwards I'm not sure if they spin smooth but they no longer have play. I yearn for my campy hubs with the 4.5s rims. The braking on the 4.5ses wheels are good(at least better than my older Reynolds wheels) but I hear the breaking on the Bora's are better.

I would love to get a set of Hyperons as everyone raves about them...

boysa

by boysa

You read my mind! I was out riding today, and spent a lot of time pondering my style, strengths, and predispositions, along with the terrain I'm mostly on, and the first thing that popped into my head was... Hyperon! I'd love to hear someone compare the 35s and Hyperon. Guess I have more research to do.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

VTBike

by VTBike

Am i missing something on price? Bora Ultra 35's seem to be about $3,500-4k. Enve 3.4 can be had with CK hubs for $2400-2500. I was under the impression from this thread that the Bora's are significantly less than the Enves.. am I missing something?