Enve 3.4 or 4.5 (Bora Ultra 35)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lafolie

by Lafolie

Tqubed wrote:You couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.....but I think the Bora's will look cool on a de rosa protos frame in black and silver with full campag groupset. I have Meilensteins on the frame at the moment......but have always had a yearning for a pair of Bora's. Just now need to decided....tubs or clinchers.

Tqubed

by Tqubed

I was tempted to get Meilenstein Schwarz Ed for my Parlee but I think ENVE performs better in cross winds. I'm ok with clinchers. I think tubs are too much trouble to fix on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morkm

by morkm

Are the Bora's really as stiff as (I hear) Enve's are?? As a bigger rider (175 pounds) I find I don't ride my Zipp 404 clinchers much because they have too much side-to-side flex for my weight. The Bora's look like they'd be less stiff due to the asymmetrical spoke lacing on the rear. I have older Fulcrum Racing 1's (symmetrical rear lacing) and newer Fulcrum Racing 1's (asymmetrical rear lacing) and the older wheels are much stiffer in the rear. I've heard plenty of Enve riders rave that Enve wheels are extremely stiff, but none of them are as heavy as I am. Curious as to thoughts on the stiffness between these 2 wheels (Bora v. Enve).

tommasini

by tommasini

Can't speak to the Enve's - but the 2 / 1 spoke orientation on the Boras gives spokes on both sides high tension despite the non drive and drive side spoke angles. Combined with a stiff carbon rim (which is needed for such a spoke pattern to work well) it's in my mind a superior way to go.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

morkm wrote:Are the Bora's really as stiff as (I hear) Enve's are?? As a bigger rider (175 pounds) I find I don't ride my Zipp 404 clinchers much because they have too much side-to-side flex for my weight. The Bora's look like they'd be less stiff due to the asymmetrical spoke lacing on the rear. I have older Fulcrum Racing 1's (symmetrical rear lacing) and newer Fulcrum Racing 1's (asymmetrical rear lacing) and the older wheels are much stiffer in the rear. I've heard plenty of Enve riders rave that Enve wheels are extremely stiff, but none of them are as heavy as I am. Curious as to thoughts on the stiffness between these 2 wheels (Bora v. Enve).

I can't help on the Bora's, but I run Enve 3.4's on a bike with Mini-Vee's (which have to be run incredibly close to the rim) and I cannot make them flex enough to touch the brake pads, which sit just 1.5-2mm's from the rims. I had Zipp 404's as well and with standard road brakes I was constantly flexing them into the brakes.

qorwlch

by qorwlch

enve 4.5

lightweight and aero
:x

ianSWBB
Shop Wrench

by ianSWBB

Have ridden both ENVEs and Boras

The Boras are my favourite :)

zuntopia

by zuntopia

+1 on bora

Isaac1207

by Isaac1207

taylorpetie wrote:Well, I got a chance to spend some time on both the enve 3.4 and bora ultra 35. Here are some quick thoughts and pics below:

**disclaimer: I'm not a bike expert, racer, pro... or claim to be one. I'm just a bike enthusiast that spends alot of time riding to be healthy (no more high blood pressure or high cholesterol) and lose weight (40lbs to date) ... and since I spend alot of time on the bike, why not spend it on a nice road bike :)

- Ultra 35 rides and feel lighter
- Ultra 35 seems to spin up quicker (most likely because of the cult ceramic bearings vs. dt swiss 240 on the enves). Even my wife says the enves seems to spin up slower. If I upgrade the hub on the enves, it will probably be better
- Enves stiffer out of the saddle. (I think the spoke pattern on the ultras i.e. G3 maybe the reason for not being as stiff as enves?)
- At first, I thought the enves absorbed road vibrations better. But after long miles, I can't tell the difference anymore
- Both handled crosswinds well, but will give it to the ultra 35s for being slightly better and more stable on descents
- Hands down, braking goes to ultra 35
- I like both (both wheels rides well and they both make the tarmac look great), but if I had to chose again, I'd chose the ultra 35 (or maybe, just maybe...also consider the ultra 50). This is an expensive hobby, but if it keeps me and the wife healthier, why not...

Just having this dilemma, between ENVES 3.4 and BORA ULTRA 35, more inclined to the BORAS because of looks, weight, reviews. Even though the technology factor favors the ENVES......Any help to decide??

Isaac1207

by Isaac1207

Just having this dilemma, between ENVES 3.4 and BORA ULTRA 35, more inclined to the BORAS because of looks, weight, reviews. Even though the technology factor favors the ENVES......Any help to decide??

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Easy choice. Pick the Bora One 35. For the price of Enves 3.4 you can buy two sets of Bora One 35.