Campagnolo 9-10 Compatibility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rgamble

by rgamble

Is a Campy 10 sp rear derailleur compatible w/ 9 speed chain & brifters?

My thought is the derailleur doesn't know the difference.

This is asked in the context of a back-up bike for "iffy" weather days.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Razor

by Razor

Yes, it will be compatible. I have 10sp shifters (replaced the 10sp index cam to a 9sp), 10sp derailluer and run a DA 9sp cassette with 10spd chain :P

reippuert

by reippuert

rgamble wrote:Is a Campy 10 sp rear derailleur compatible w/ 9 speed chain & brifters?

Thanks.

Yes, 11- speed will also do (pre 2015 revolution)
--
mvh. Morten Reippuert Knudsen @Merlin Works CR, Chorus 15, Reynolds 46/66

rgamble

by rgamble

Yes, I went ahead and did it. Works fine. Thanks.
Attachments
0627151335.jpg

BRM

by BRM

rgamble wrote:Is a Campy 10 sp rear derailleur compatible w/ 9 speed chain & brifters?

Thanks.

It depends on what Campagnolo 9-speed shifters you have.
Campagnolo changed the cable pull. So when you have oldstyle 9 speed then the answer is no.

Here an extract of a website that has info on mixing Shimano with other brands. That has nothing to do with what you want but it contains info that explains things.

Old Campag

By this we mean pre 2001 Campagnolo indexing equipment, but not their even older Victory and Triumph indexed gears – for which I have no data and which didn't index very well anyway. Prior to the turn of the century, Campag rear mechs had a low shift ratio of 1.4 and their shifters pulled a lot more cable than Shimano's. These mechs had their angle adjustment screw in the usual place, up where they fix to the frame and the shifters did not say how many speeds they were for.

New Campag

Then, in year 2000, Campag introduced 10-speed and new design of mech with a slightly bigger shift ratio – but still less than Shimano – and the angle adjuster down by the pulley cage. The next year (2001) they changed all their mechs to be like this and made new 9-speed Ergopower controls that pulled a bit less cable per click. Eight-speed had already been discontinued, so that's always old-style and 10-speed is always new-style, so 9-speed is the only area of confusion. Whereas old-style controls are blank or have the groupset printed on the front, new-style say "9-speed".

The good news is you can change the indexing ratchet inside the new-style controls and, for example, convert a new 10-speed shifter into old-style 9-speed.

Source:
http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo