96g saddle-seatpost combo & new bike weight 3,392g

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

donald

by donald

My bar tape has been ready for replacement, I know it looks a little ragged, it is on my list of things to do. I usually replace the bar tape about once a year. I put a lot of time in on the saddle, removed a lot of material except the very center/middle section. the nose of the saddle has very little material, but then again, I never really sit on the nose. The weight of my front tub is actually 267 grams, the rim is 184 grams. I did not build a rear carbon tub yet. The front wheel is really quite strong, at least for my weight and not hitting big pot holes. I have many very light wheels for this bike. I could go with a lighter fork, a THM, but I like this EDGE 1.0, I have had it for about 8 years, this one was a prototype, and I have had it down to 238 grams for quite a while now.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Nice!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Donald please tell where you have taken material out of the fork apart from cutting the steerer down.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

For background on this amazing bike, might be worth checking the original thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=96441

donald

by donald

The fork is 8 years old as I said, one of the first 1.0's. Rue got me this fork as he was in direct contact with Edge, now enve, regarding some very light carbon. What I remember it was around 270 grams at 265 mm. after cutting the steerer down I just basically just sanded everywhere on the fork, except the steerer tube, to get it down to 238 grams.

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

Brilliant bike Donald. Can you tell me a little more about the tape you use?

donald

by donald

whydobears..., The tape I have used most often, and the tape on the bike now, is actually the "backing" tape from a roll of insulating tape that I bought at ACE hardware. It is 2.5 cm. wide, ( 1 inch). It has the right amount of stretch to it, just like regular bar tape. 12.2 grams for the complete handlebar including a little extra padding at the top of the lever hoods. I stocked up on it years ago, not sure if they still have it. I also have some other very thin tape, same color, that has just a little more stretch to it, is just a little wider, and just slightly thinner. It is ever so slightly less durable but only 5.9 grams to wrap the whole bar. I have had this tape for years also but I can't remember what it is called or where I got it. I also stocked up on it, enough to last me 7 to 10 years. Sorry I don't have more info.

BmanX

by BmanX

I love this build and the amount of detail put into every part
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

xena
Banned

by xena

Just want to say , use a similar bar tape very light, I am not bothered about padding.
On My Guru "other bike" that I am doing some interesting construction on " will post when finished" I use the ENVE 1 fork . just over 230 grms , I do slam my stem to the max no dust cap etc. The fork handles very well. I use a Stork UMS " 230grms" which is just as light on my weight weenie Trek and this fork his way better than the standard trek fork.
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

KarlC

by KarlC

xena wrote:Just want to say , use a similar bar tape very light, I am not bothered about padding.
On My Guru "other bike" that I am doing some interesting construction on " will post when finished" I use the ENVE 1 fork . just over 230 grms , I do slam my stem to the max no dust cap etc. The fork handles very well. I use a Stork UMS " 230grms" which is just as light on my weight weenie Trek and this fork his way better than the standard trek fork.

Do you mind sharing what tape you use and the weight ?

Also any other tapes you like ?

Thx
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

donald

by donald

XENA, fantastic weight on your enve 1.0 fork. I also like your Stork UMS, and again, fantastic weight. I still have an original Stork Stilleto Lite fork that is about 13 years old, 258 grams. keep up and let us know about your WW projects.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

donald, what's that rear rim and why alloy?

xena
Banned

by xena

donald wrote:XENA, fantastic weight on your enve 1.0 fork. I also like your Stork UMS, and again, fantastic weight. I still have an original Stork Stilleto Lite fork that is about 13 years old, 258 grams. keep up and let us know about your WW projects.

Cheers Donald.
The UMS fork is on my Trek which has quite a short head tube so I cut the fork steerer right down as I slam my stem.

Similar with my other bike the Guru. Its slammed no dust cover etc so a huge amount of steerer cut off and as you know the same carbon product can have a slightly different weight.

I sent my Guru photon Frame back to Guru so I could use a press fit BB 30. When it returned it was basically a brand new frame :lol: I now have my favourite crank on the frame SI SL. I do love the THM but the Si SL feels a wee bit better to me.
The Frame is with Ed at http://tsubasabicycles.com/ . who built my seat/post/combo on my weight weenie Trek. We are doing some modifications to the Guru and as well as making stem/handlebar combo.
I will post it when it's finished. its an exciting project.

My Trek is very much inspired by your bike Donald. Yours is a true weight weenie one of a kind :beerchug:

xena
Banned

by xena

KarlC wrote:
xena wrote:Just want to say , use a similar bar tape very light, I am not bothered about padding.

Do you mind sharing what tape you use and the weight ?

Also any other tapes you like ?

Thx

Karl this is the tape I use. It really weighs nothing. Very thin and also not to sticky. Bars stay clean. I tried quite a few but this is light and works very well. It says Heavy duty. That's about strength not weight.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23mm-x-40m-Bl ... hash=item0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlC

by KarlC

Thx xena, does it only come in blue ? I would need black.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12